Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cannedkoala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I read online comics and usually the hilarious punchline is in the alt-text but iPad misses out =[

My solution: Currently when you tap and hold a link it shows the URL above the options you can select from. This could be extended to tap and hold images. It's the same layout of options (save image, copy) and some alt-text would neatly fit above those and be consistent with the UI!

Thoughts and comments? Just putting it out there. I'll go see if I can find Apples suggestion drop box.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I would take it up with the site developers as well. On touch devices there are no mouse-overs. I've seen one site implement by having the first click the mouse-over event and the subsequent click the click event.

I think as touch devices gain market share, the idea of a mouse-over may go away. For now, it may be better for web designers to think of a better way.

Think about it, in your scenario it would be an Easter egg hunt to get the whole picture, I wouldn't want to tap and hold all day long to see if I'm missing something.

Cannedkoala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
That is true, it could become a bit of a hunt. I guess I look at it from only my own perspective of knowing when I want the alt text.

Additionally I've been reading up on alt text and it can be quite long. I probably wouldn't want that for each image I save. Your solution is equally problematic though, because in general when I click something, I want it to click. Being forced to click twice when I don't want to could be mildly annoying.

I think you are right in that individual sites will adapt. SMBC has the red button which is clickable. Xkcd has a mobile site with a button. Dinosaur Comics is what prompted my initial post =]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.