Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JakeJLF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I got my first Mac in 2010 (which I still use and works fine) and it came with Snow Leopard. I loved snow leopard. Then after 3 years I got Mavericks, and I was so glad to finally have new features. ( I wasn't upgrading because I was a chicken and was scared to do almost anything with my Mac back in the day.) I now have Yosemite and love the design but everything is less stable and not polished. There's tons of bugs too. in 2015 I want them to make another snow leopard. Macs are supposed to last right? With this quality control, no.

I want them to do the same thing with iOS... iOS is even worse.

Anyone else?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you know so many people complained about SL when it first came out. Lots of bugs, some compatibility issues. Over time apple issued patches to fix the bugs.

You mentioned a ton of bugs, what specifically are you complaining about? What bugs are your incurring.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
In the first page of a search for Snow Leopard 10.6.0 is "this is a lot worse that Tiger in terms of stability". :)

Snow Leopard eventually became a great OS, and Snow Leopard Server was probably the best server OS of all, but it did not start that way. Server brought me a new and entertaining database corruption problem every time it got updated.

Yosemite has been just as stable - if not more so - than any other initial release I have used. I do not care for all the transparency business, but I can live with it.

A.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I don't understand why more of the bugs can't be ironed out prior to general public release. I think it was 1 week after Yosemite was publicly release they release 10.10.1 Beta. I'm sure many of the issues solved in 10.10.1 were reported and known prior to public release. So why not release Betas earlier and for longer allowing for a more stable release. Obviously some bugs take time to reach the surface or only occur in certain circumstances or with specific software or hardware setups.

I hope the next OS X is a fine tuning of Yosemite (a bit like Leopard - Snow Leopard) rather than a huge make-over.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Do you know so many people complained about SL when it first came out. Lots of bugs, some compatibility issues. Over time apple issued patches to fix the bugs.

True. A week ago I was watching someone's very old review from 2009 (shortly after the Snow Leopard release) and he started talking about how buggy Snow Leopard was compared to Leopard :eek:

I'm sure most of the prevalent bugs will be fixed throughout Yosemite's support lifespan.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I got my first Mac in 2010 (which I still use and works fine) and it came with Snow Leopard. I loved snow leopard. Then after 3 years I got Mavericks, and I was so glad to finally have new features. ( I wasn't upgrading because I was a chicken and was scared to do almost anything with my Mac back in the day.) I now have Yosemite and love the design but everything is less stable and not polished. There's tons of bugs too. in 2015 I want them to make another snow leopard. Macs are supposed to last right? With this quality control, no.

I want them to do the same thing with iOS... iOS is even worse.

Anyone else?

Having also being introduced to OS X with Snow Leopard, I was very disappointed with Lion. It seems liked a bunch of gimmicks throw in with poor performance. Mountain Lion just felt like a big Patch for Lion.

After that, I have found Mavericks to be great, aside from the Gmail issues for the first 2 months.

Yosemite is almost bug free already, at least for me. I think it's pretty solid and looks lovely as well after you get used to the new design.

So of the last 5 releases my preference would probably be:

1. Mavericks
2. Yosemite
3. Snow Leopard
4. Mountain Lion
5. Lion

(Not comparing usefulness or most powerful and efficient. Just personal impression at release.)

----------

Yosemite has been just as stable - if not more so - than any other initial release I have used.
A.

Indeed, I think this has been the best recent testament to Apple's supposed values of quality and stability. iOS 8.0 not so much...

----------

I hope the next OS X is a fine tuning of Yosemite (a bit like Leopard - Snow Leopard) rather than a huge make-over.

Yosemite is the first makeover since OS X 10.5 Leopard. SL, L, ML and M were all incremental adjustments since then. I would be highly surprised if OS X10.11 was anything but a fine tuning.

Mavericks perhaps is the most significant performance contribution of the Leopard series, with App Nap, Timer Coalescing and Compressed Memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.