Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of Aqua and the Mac GUI?

• I hate it, bring on the next style we need to drop Aqua it's old.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Indifferent to it.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I love it, but don't like the pre-leopard style.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I love it and want the pre-leopard style.

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
So many users on here complain about the Aqua interface and want Marble. Now I never got to use anything prior to Leopard, this perhaps could explain why, apart from a quick go on my teachers iMac which had Tiger. I for one love the Aqua interface as well as the old Pinstripes used in earlier versions of Mac OS X, I have a thing for stripes as well as pre-leopard OS X.

Now what I want is an update from users on GUI applications out there, all the older threads will be out of date now. So let me know what's going on with them. Does anyone know where the files for GUI are kept in Snow Leopard or Leopard, I'm wondering if you can almost do a transplant of the files from Tiger into Snow Leopard? If there is also anyone who can make a Pinstripe theme for the dock to be used in DockDoctor could you post the files? I've added a screenshot from 10.0 to just remind anyone of the style.

Thank you.

I've also added a poll to get some real data on how MacRumors feels about Aqua.

Attachments

• first-boot-big.jpg
    first-boot-big.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,527

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Does anyone know where the files for GUI are kept in Snow Leopard or Leopard, I'm wondering if you can almost do a transplant of the files from Tiger into Snow Leopard?

You cannot just transplant them, as Apple changed the files between Tiger and Leopard.

Leopard has Magnifique to change the interface skin, but using it on SL will screw up your system. AFAIK, no one has figured out how to skin SL - it will come, but it takes time.

Mac Rumours (I use a 'u' because I'm English :p)

That's nice and all, but the site's name is MacRumors. It's proper noun, not a normal word subject to interpretation.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I really wish Apple would allow users to switch between the classic Aqua (pinstripes), thew 10.3 Aqua (brushed metal), and current.

I'm not asking for complete customization like Windows or anything but switching between Apple's own past interfaces.

I personally love the 10.2-10.3 look. It's so nostalgic and the dock looks nice too.

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
You cannot just transplant them, as Apple changed the files between Tiger and Leopard.

Leopard has Magnifique to change the interface skin, but using it on SL will screw up your system. AFAIK, no one has figured out how to skin SL - it will come, but it takes time.

Thanks for the help. It's shame that one was never fully developed for Leopard, but there was quite a few for Tiger.

That's nice and all, but the site's name is MacRumors. It's proper noun, not a normal word subject to interpretation.

Sorry, I'll change it.:eek:

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
Ok so no programs as of yet, but can you still tell me where I can find the folder or package containing the GUI for the windows?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Ok so no programs as of yet, but can you still tell me where I can find the folder or package containing the GUI for the windows?

There is no single folder. The files are scattered throughout the packages of the different core services.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I'd love to get back to the old style Aqua. But realistically, Apple has gone too far already with Leopard and Snow Leopard to turn back now, it seems like a brand new interface is a lot more likely. I just pray it's not based around 'touch screens' and all that silly new-wave-jazz. Sadly, times change...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.