Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chmedly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I'm finding myself looking at and editing various configuration files lately and I'm frustrated that I have to dig in the 'Open With > Other...' section every time to open said file in TextEdit. Is there way to keep TextEdit among the quick suggested apps for all files when I right click and slide over to Open With?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
An alternative would be to put TextEdit into your Dock and then you could open a file in TextEdit by dragging and dropping the file on TextEdit in the Dock.

Reactions: nightcap965

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Changing the Default Text Editor
1. Single Click the file you want to open (any file as long it’s the type you want to set as default)
2. Then at the top bar click File and then Get Info (Command+I also works)
3. Click the triangle next to Open with
4. Select Text Editor
5. Then Click Change All…

chmedly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks to both replies. Nightcap's suggestion unfortunately is not workable. The various files are not all the same type and don't have the same suffix. I don't want to change this for every new file type I encounter. Nor do I actually want to change the default app for these disparate files. I was hoping there was a way to change how TextEdit is seen by the OS so that it is always listed as an immediate option for any file type. JohnDS's suggestion might be helpful. I'll see how its goes.

Thanks!

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
I agree, it would be very useful if it listed under "open with..."

It must be possible to add to the context menu, same as windows, without too much difficulty. If apps like dropbox can add them in then it can be too difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.