Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I have a bunch of TV programmes stored on a solid state TV recorder with an HDMI output. What's the cheapest and easiest way of turning these programmes into high quality (1080p) video files using my MacBook?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You won't be improving quality, you have what you recorded. You can save the recording in 720 or 1080 depending on the hardware you choose.

I use an Elgato HDMI capture device with their software. Make sure you get one compatible with your Mac and OS.

These are real time capture devices of unprotected video. You basically connect the HDMI cable to the Mac, start up the capture software, start playing the video. Come back at the end of the show. Rinse and repeat for the next show.

You can also just record for hours and come back later and use the video editor to separate the shows.

Reactions: StoneJack

Big Stevie

Suspended
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I also do this using an Elgato capture device, I think it's the HD60?

I even copy Sky Q content to my MacBook, but you need to add a certain type of HDMI splitter along the route of the HDMI cable, one that is capable of bypassing Skys HDCP encryption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.