Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
I want to reset MacOS as "cleanly" as possible. If I do this via DFU using another Mac, would that be "cleaner" than formatting the SSD via disk utility and installing macOS? Or is there no difference?

No kidding, I have OCD and it is important for me to understand that my laptop will go to the buyer as cleanly as possible.

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015
Which Mac, and which MacOS?

On Monterey/Ventura and Apple Silicon / Macs with a T2 chip, there's a specific setting in System Settings "Erase All Content and Settings" which completely erases any of your content to leave you with an entirely fresh installation. This is the method to use if it's available to you.

You'll have to check whether this command is available on your combination of OS and device. This page should help you to decide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212749

HTH.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Tell us WHICH Mac you have.

If it's Apple Silicon, use the "erase all content and settings" option in System Preferences.
That should wipe it "as clean as it's going to get"...

Reactions: chabig

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I want to reset MacOS as "cleanly" as possible. If I do this via DFU using another Mac, would that be "cleaner" than formatting the SSD via disk utility and installing macOS? Or is there no difference?
Assuming you are talking about an Apple Silicon Mac, yes, DFU is “cleaner” than formatting the SSD.
All other options do not completely erase the internal storage.

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015
Assuming you are talking about an Apple Silicon Mac, yes, DFU is “cleaner” than formatting the SSD.
All other options do not completely erase the internal storage.

Erase All Content and Settings removes everything but the securely encrypted system disk, which can't be tampered with anyway. What advantage is there to using another longer and more complicated process than the one Apple recommends?

Reactions: NoBoMac and chabig

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Erase All Content and Settings removes everything but the securely encrypted system disk, which can't be tampered with anyway. What advantage is there to using another longer and more complicated process than the one Apple recommends?
Yup. Unless a nation-state targets you, use Erase All Content and Settings.

denisch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
Yes, I have an Apple Silicon computer. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Of course, I'm not a spy, but I was interested in DFU because of the need to sell a laptop. Thank you!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Ditto “Erase All Content and Settings”.

Will add: M Macs encrypt all data on the drive, so when erase is used, the randomly generated encryption keys get erased as well, making the data unreadable. And as @brookter1 pointed out, OS is in a sealed/protected volume and does not contain any user information or user installed programs: it‘s purely OS as-is from Apple (can think of it as bootable install media).

Reactions: brookter1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.