Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
Hi, for days I was considering to upgrade to the new AWUltra but the S chip that is using is the same as the AWS6. Is like, im paying $800~ dollars for a new just released watch but with the same 2020s speed specs as my actual series 7 and previously series 6. Doesn't make sense, i genuinely thought that was a faster chip because i always felt that my S7 is pretty slow compared to all other apple devices. And seeing things in a WatchOS POV, the upgrade will be pointless and unnoticeable, NO faster speeds, NO common useful normal people Ultra apps, only new exterior shell. Maybe, next year will be worth it, if Apple doesn’t recycle the same chip for the 4th consecutive year.

Reactions: jacklivehere

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi, for days I was considering to upgrade to the new AWUltra but the S chip that is using is the same as the AWS6. Is like, im paying $800~ dollars for a new just released watch but with the same 2020s speed specs as my actual series 7 and previously series 6. Doesn't make sense, i genuinely thought that was a faster chip because i always felt that my S7 is pretty slow compared to all other apple devices. And seeing things in a WatchOS POV, the upgrade will be pointless and unnoticeable, NO faster speeds, NO common useful normal people Ultra apps, only new exterior shell. Maybe, next year will be worth it, if Apple doesn’t recycle the same chip for the 4th consecutive year.
What is “slow” about what you’re trying to do?
And also be aware that the “S” is a SOC and it has certainly be upgraded, eg BT 5.3.

Reactions: JDnLex

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I was honestly disappointed they didn't improve the chip just for value's sake. I upgrade every year. Not since the S4 have I thought the watch was slow though.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
Almost all apps takes like 1 sec loading (I know, 1 sec is 1 sec) and there's graphics stuttering. Yes, my wish is a faster experience, but im talking about the stagnant area that the SOC of the Apple Watch is and we having as a customers same thing every year . I'm comparing it vs the iPhone annual SOC upgrade, when you compare actual iPhone vs last year iPhone it seems that the snappines is the same but by numbers is more faster. I want that for the Apple Watches even if's a 10% improvement every year.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Almost all apps takes like 1 sec loading (I know, 1 sec is 1 sec) and there's graphics stuttering. Yes, my wish is a faster experience, but im talking about the stagnant area that the SOC of the Apple Watch is and we having as a customers same thing every year . I'm comparing it vs the iPhone annual SOC upgrade, when you compare actual iPhone vs last year iPhone it seems that the snappines is the same but by numbers is more faster. I want that for the Apple Watches even if's a 10% improvement every year.

I mean, I don't know how it could be any faster in a way that would matter in real life. I just opened a bunch of apps on my 6 and in the split second the little "zoom in" or "slide up" animation takes (depending on whether you're launching the app from the app screen or the dock), the app is ready to go. I agree that occasionally I get that "stutter" where something seems to freeze for a second, but not very often.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I agree that keeping the same basic SOC for 3 gens is a bit slack from Apple. Hopefully they overhaul it in 2023. I think OP should hold off until next year. AW7 to ultra is only a big upgrade if you want extra battery and do extreme stuff. They may offer other colours in the Ultra next year as well. Considering that many are buying it purely because it’s new, it’s Apple, they want the best etc., and not because they actually are into extreme sports I think it’s not a must buy this year. That’s cool. I got no issues with why people
Buy the AWU. Just I have an issue with how ugly the AWU is. That won’t change next year though.

yepp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2018
We know that S6, S7, and S8 all have the same CPU speed.

I am curious about memory though. In my experience Ultra feels snappier than series 7, which is a feeling that I hadn’t felt from series 6 to series 7.

I wonder if there has been any upgrades to some other aspects of the soc.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022

‘You have choice. Don’t buy it. I love my old slow Ultra!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I agree that keeping the same basic SOC for 3 gens is a bit slack from Apple. Hopefully they overhaul it in 2023. I think OP should hold off until next year. AW7 to ultra is only a big upgrade if you want extra battery and do extreme stuff. They may offer other colours in the Ultra next year as well. Considering that many are buying it purely because it’s new, it’s Apple, they want the best etc., and not because they actually are into extreme sports I think it’s not a must buy this year. That’s cool. I got no issues with why people
Buy the AWU. Just I have an issue with how ugly the AWU is. That won’t change next year though.
If you consider Sleep Tracking an extreme stuff, I think the Ultra is a very good tool for it. You don’t need to worry about the battery at all, making it the ideal tool for this purpose.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
We know that S6, S7, and S8 all have the same CPU speed.

I am curious about memory though. In my experience Ultra feels snappier than series 7, which is a feeling that I hadn’t felt from series 6 to series 7.

I wonder if there has been any upgrades to some other aspects of the soc.

I don't think we do know that (same CPU speed). I haven't seen any benchmarks, have you?

Apple hasn't touted any speed increases, but that doesn't necessarily indicate that there are none (but probably).
There were other changes under the hood like charging, BT, sensors etc.

Again, I would not upgrade from S6 to S8, but I'm not in the "It's the same watch" camp.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My S7, S8, and Ultra were are all super fast on 9.1 beta with everything that I do (mostly workouts, music, and podcasts). The only thing I want is a more efficient SOC and LTE chip. Not sure what you are all doing with your watches that it feels slow? But to me the biggest issue is battery life or lack thereof especially when using LTE and streaming music/podcasts.

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
I suspect next year will be major internal upgrade for Apple Watch with new 3nm or 4nm S chip, which brings battery life to new level .

Other thing I was hoping for is T-mobile Bands support like Band 71 or 5G . LTE Modem in Apple Watch is pretty dated with limited LTE band support, and really needs upgrade. I also wonder why no reviewer's talk about these things ( probably paid reviewers :)

Reactions: smoking monkey

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I would assume, along with a lot of Apple products, they don’t focus on specs as much as how it actually functions.

A new faster chip? What’s the cost? What’s the hit on battery life? What’s the benefit of the new chip, and or is there any actual perceivable difference to be worth it on actual function?

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
I would assume, along with a lot of Apple products, they don’t focus on specs as much as how it actually functions.

A new faster chip? What’s the cost? What’s the hit on battery life? What’s the benefit of the new chip, and or is there any actual perceivable difference to be worth it on actual function?
Due to 3nm or 4nm , certainly better life , and more room for processing (aka transistors) . Shouldn’t be much price difference given already iPhones uses 4nm . It’s economy of scale .

Modem is different due to antenna designs and power hungry chips.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I'm still rocking my S4 without issue. I was totally planning on getting an S8 this year, then the Ultra came out. But then I realized they both still have old chips in them. I still really want an Ultra, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending $800 on one, especially since they're already discounting the S8 by $50 at places.
I think I'm going to try and hold out another year and see what they release next year. I'm hoping for a lower cost Ultra, maybe without cellular, or a slight redesign for the S9, and hoping both get upgraded internals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.