Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen.holmes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
I wanted to utilize MobileMe as the center of my email universe. Devices include Windows7 running Outlook 2007, iPad, Droid (sorry, Verizon customer!). My primary email account for the last 10 years has been cox.net.

I visualized ME.com reading my cox.net POP account and then having all of my devices obtain their email from ME.com. That way when I deleted an email on one device IMAP would delete that same message everywhere. The main problem with the current implementation of ME.com appears to be that the only way the "external" email account gets read is when I manually click the link. My needs would be that the POP account would get read automatically.

The second issue I have is that I would like all of my "sent" mail to look like it is coming from my cox.net account. So, when recipients saw my "from" account it would look like it came from my cox.net account. I don't want to switch primary email accounts.

Thoughts, ideas, comments... Help!

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
The main problem with the current implementation of ME.com appears to be that the only way the "external" email account gets read is when I manually click the link. My needs would be that the POP account would get read automatically.

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/as...sprt_cid=6d6033bd-d8fe-4e52-a059-c16e397dcacf

The second issue I have is that I would like all of my "sent" mail to look like it is coming from my cox.net account. So, when recipients saw my "from" account it would look like it came from my cox.net account. I don't want to switch primary email accounts.

Then, setup the coxmail on your iPhone as a separate account, us that account as the default sending account. (Unfortunately, your "sent" items will still be stored on Cox's servers and now me.com)

glen.holmes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Thanks, Matthew. I will give those suggestions a try...

I knew about forwarding but wanted to see if there were any other tricks out there.

I will try your suggestion re: adding the cox.net account as a second account. Do you know if this will work when I "reply" to any email in my ME.com inbox?

glen.holmes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Still Not Solved

1) Forwarding does "fix" the first part of my problem.
2) Adding a second account for cox.net works when sending "new" emails but it does not solve the problem when "replying" to emails in the ME.com account
a) it still shows up as "from" ME.com

Anybody???

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
1) Forwarding does "fix" the first part of my problem.
2) Adding a second account for cox.net works when sending "new" emails but it does not solve the problem when "replying" to emails in the ME.com account
a) it still shows up as "from" ME.com

Anybody???

Well, it sounds like if you want it to be the center of your email world you need to switch yourself.

Until you do, you can select what account sends out an email each time you reply. In the reply window, click on "From" and then select your email address, and then select the cox email.

glen.holmes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Matthew - Your Suggestion...

Thanks for your help! I will proceed as suggested until ME.com gives me the ability to have a default "from" address different than ME.com. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.