Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
hey you guys, quick question;

okay, i'm trying to record something i'm playing on my electric guitar into garageband through the late 2009 unibody macbook's audio in/out port but i can't get any signal whatsoever through to garageband (or the computer in general)

when i plug in my ipod touch headphones with the built-in mic into the port i get signal, so i know the port isn't faulty
now strangely enough when i plug any other input device in (be it a mic, bass guitar or guitar) i get no signal whatsoever

i've already tried most every possible setting in system prefs without success, and i know my cables are working fine, so that can't be it either

what am i doing wrong? anyone?

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
This is my new favorite thread...

Anyone with experience getting a Mac preloaded with Logic Express?

I'm not sure the differences or if Express (Logic without all the instrument plug-ins?) is even worth it over GarageBand...

Ultimately Logic Studio is where I'm leaning though I wish it would come preinstalled (and with a discount to boot).

Getting very close to finishing my studio build out (starting with likely a new iMac)....using a Marantz Pro Stereo field recorder to capture tracks since my Asus died right after I got Ableton 8 Live setup.....

BobVos

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
Whats's with the a/d converter?

Hi,

Thanx for the explanation. I'm new to MacRumors.
I've bought a shure SM58 and an Inspire 1394 and use them as sound input device for screen recording. The input level is very low, i've to talk about 1 inch from the mic, and there's a terrible constant loud background hum, if i turn up the inspire to get more sound there's also a hiss.
I've got this 'configuration' from an Apple podcast site. I've configured the midi sound program and changed the preferences, everythings seems to be oké.
What do do you mean with an analog/digital converter? The inspire output is digital?
Do you know if this 'configuration' is sensitive to magnetic fields? I hope you have some suggestions to get rid of this hum and boost up the volume.
Regards, Bob Vos

Every few days or so, someone new to recording to computers, or new to recording to a mac, or new to recording in general, wants to know such things as:

1. how do i record to garage band?
2. how can i record using the line in?
3. what kind of soundcard do i need? (my personal "favorite")

i'm hoping this thread can serve as a primer the curious before trudging on to more specific questions.

i'm an amateur musician and amateur recordist. i first starting using macs for music in 1986 with MOTU's Performer (and a Southworth MIDI interface -- anyone remember them?), slaved Perfomer to SMPTE timecode coming off tape in the 90's, and these days record using ProTools LE and programs like Reason, plus some of my old 80's synths.

whether going to tape or computer, the recording process is basically the same as it's been for decades, but those new to the experience may become a little lost by a lack of understanding of the process and the plethora of hardware and software choices available today.

A Brief Overview of Recording

Sound recording consists of capturing some kind of time-based signal, either from the analog or digital domain, and committing it to some kind of medium, either analog or digital, from which the signal can be played back.

One example is a person dictating into a handheld tape recorder. Though this example is simple, it does contain the basic parts of recording a live signal: the source (voice), the mechanism which translates sound waves into electrical signals (the mic), and the recording mechanism (magentic tape).

Playback goes in reverse: magnetic waves are converted to electrical, which are converted to sound waves (the speaker). for purposes of this discussion, i'll skip the biomechanical parts of listening and the conversion therein (mostly because i don't understand it very well :)

recording to a computer isn't much different. though the source may be something other than moving soundwaves, the information must end up as a digital stream of 1's and 0's to be written to a hard drive (the recording mechanism).

Getting Sound Into a Mac

Macs can record through a variety of ways:

1. line in through the audio-in port*
2. mic in through the audio-in port*
3. USB
4. firewire
5. PCI card
6. optical digital in
7. ethernet**

* not all macs have audio-in ports
** not certain if anyone's implemented this

let us note that, for 1) and 2) above, those signals are analog. all other incoming signals are digital.

line in through the audio-in port

macs with analog audio-in ports feature a cheap analog/digital converter tied to the audio-in port. this means that a line can be fed from, say, an outboard mixer and the mac will be able to record it, though with not much quality.

let us note that line level is not the same as Hi-Z, which is a high impedance signal from, say, an electric guitar. personally, i don't know if this port can also accept a Hi-Z signal, perhaps someone else can chime in.

mic in through the audio-in port

mic-level signals are significantly lower than line-level signals. the device which increases a mic-level signal to line-level is called a microphone preamplifier, aka mic pre aka pre.

though the mac audio-in port does have a mic pre built-in, it is accessible through an apple proprietary connector called PlainTalk. it seems this connector is longer than a standard 1/8" plug and can access the mic pre's phantom power. therefore, plugging in an OTS condenser microphone, with an XLR to 1/8" adapter, won't work.

USB and firewire

once we get to these ports, we're talking about connecting some kind of computer/audio interface. sweetwater carries a number of such interfaces, which can be accessed here.

these computer interfaces typically offer analog ins, such as line level in, Hi-Z in, and microphone in. any mic interface will have a mic pre behind it, and probably phantom power, to power mics which need external power, such as condenser mics.

these interfaces will also have converters in them, at least analog/digital and usually digital/analog, for monitoring purposes. a major differentiator among models is the number of channels. there are many models with 2, 4, and 8 channels.

other differentiating factors are quality, bundled software, brand and other features, such as headphone outputs, the ability to rackmount, and low-latency monitoring.

advantages of such boxes include a higher quality pre and converter than what's built into the mac, increased channels, one-stop shopping and availability of features not offered on the mac.

disadvantages include, in general, a quality reflecting its price and a limited ability to upgrade components singly.

PCI card

these are similar in concept to the USB and firewire boxes, though they obviously connect differently and they tend to cost more and have higher quality. some are not all-in-boxes, but rather simply converters, requiring a separate purchase of pre's and other hardware.

getting sound in, conclusion

as should now be obvious, there are a variety of methods to getting audio into the mac. each user must determine for himself which method is most appropriate for their situation. obviously, if one wants to multi-track an entire drumset, the audio-in port will not suffice.

budget constraint is an obvious determiner. as i like to say, you basically get what you pay for.

but regardless of which method is used, the audio is now in the mac, digitized, and ready to be recorded to hard disk.

Before the Sound Gets In

How the sound gets in depends on what's being recorded, though the basic process is the same. let's look at what's needed to record a vocal:

singer -> mic -> mic pre -> a/d converter -> mac

whether you're using a PlainTalk mic, or an sm57 and a presonus mic pre and an m-audio converter, all those components exist. that's important to understand, as it gets confusing when one plugs in a USB mic (samson makes one, for example), which seems to bypass the pre and converter (it doesn't, they're built into the mic).

so which is better? that samson mic costs $80. the sm57/presonus/m-audio chain costs under $500. people routinely use chains costing thousands of dollars. again, you get what you pay for, but it's entirely possible to get a good sound out of cheap gear. so i suppose the "best" is what fits in your budget and you can use to get the sound you want.

many signals are not mic'ed. for example, a bassist could go direct (by using a Hi-Z in, for example), or a hardware synthesizer could have a digital output, or the synthsizer could be in software. each example implies, or even dictates, its own signal chain. however, every analog signal must be converted to digital at some point in order to be recorded in the mac.

a note about mixers: given the state of interfaces today, it is not absolutely necessary to use a mixer, though some like to and it's easy to integrate into a setup. i've seen a lot of confusion regarding the relationship between mixers and computer/audio interfaces, which is understandable given some feature overlap.

when it comes down to it, mixers are handy if you want to mix together signals outside of the computer. they can also offer a number of mic pre's and EQ's on a budget, plus offer some handy monitoring features. and i've found that cheap ones sound like crap (imho). then again, i think the same of cheap interfaces (imho). bottom line is they can be useful but aren't always necessary, depending on the setup.

After the Sound Gets In

there are a number of programs which allow multi-track recording, such as Garage Band and Digital Performer. i'm not going to get into their operation or which one's better than the other, but i will say that the choice of program (or DAW -- Digital Audio Workstation) should be made before the choice of hardware. that's just a personal preference of mine, and necessary if you end up going with ProTools, because its maker, Digidesign, limits the hardware choices available.

in all situations, though, it will be necessary to hear what's been recorded, such as when doing a mix of the song. many people mix what's called "in the box", meaning the computer will be doing all the math necessary to take the recorded (or generated live) tracks and make a stereo mix of it.

this mix will be routed through a d/a (digital to analog) converter in order to be heard. perhaps it's the one tied to the headphone output, perhaps it's in your computer/audio interface, perhaps you're sending it out the digital s/pdif line to a dedicated d/a converter. there are a number of options and i bring it up to again hammer home the point: you get what you pay for.

In Conclusion

there are a number of ways to get done what you want, for all budgets, all skill levels, and all sonic qualities. what's right for your particular situation can be determined only by you, and please recognize that when you said "i want to record to my mac", you were (perhaps inadvertently) also announcing yourself as an engineer. and being an engineer means being faced with and making a seemingly endless stream of choices, including budgetary.

Good luck!

MacUser1985

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
SD card Storage for Recording in Logic

I just posted this question in another thread, but I may get a quicker response here. Can an SD card be used as a storage device to record to in Logic? It seems as though using a 64GB card with a 60MB/sec write time should be fast enough, but I couldn't get it to work.

rnodern

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
Manila, Philippines
Hi,

Thanx for the explanation. I'm new to MacRumors.
I've bought a shure SM58 and an Inspire 1394 and use them as sound input device for screen recording. The input level is very low, i've to talk about 1 inch from the mic, and there's a terrible constant loud background hum, if i turn up the inspire to get more sound there's also a hiss.
I've got this 'configuration' from an Apple podcast site. I've configured the midi sound program and changed the preferences, everythings seems to be oké.
What do do you mean with an analog/digital converter? The inspire output is digital?
Do you know if this 'configuration' is sensitive to magnetic fields? I hope you have some suggestions to get rid of this hum and boost up the volume.
Regards, Bob Vos
Add two inserts/plugins to your vocal channel. If there are more than one vocal channel, send them all to a group bus and add the inserts there.
First insert add a noise suppressor. Get the settings right by listening back to just the hiss/hum and alter the settings until no hiss is heard. Then skip to a part with vocals and adjust settings again.

Next, add a compressor don't push it too hard. Compression can get out of control pretty quickly. Just go through some presets until you find something you like. Listen out for volume swelling/pumping

rnodern

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I'm a massive fan of cubase. A little trick to getting a cheap version:
Yamaha and other hardware manufacturers issue cubase AI with their hardware. You can download this for free. This is more than capable. However, you can totally upgrade to the full version for half price! :)

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
In your post you mention you're not sure if Ethernet audio recording has been implemented - it has been actually! Some pro kit uses ethernet for audio as an alternative to Thunderbolt (I know Focusrite sell some ethernet audio kit).

I'm a massive fan of cubase. A little trick to getting a cheap version:
Yamaha and other hardware manufacturers issue cubase AI with their hardware. You can download this for free. This is more than capable. However, you can totally upgrade to the full version for half price! :)
Very valid point.

Equally if you're running on a Mac you can use Logic Pro X which is an absolute steal for the money. £150 gets you a DAW with a bunch of fantastic instruments and plugin effects built in - I don't think you can do much better without spending quite a lot more.

macadoeshuz

Suspended
Nov 4, 2015
Canada
Garageband is great. Especially for beginners. I started with Garageband and now I'm using Logic Pro X. Good transition.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Best reason to keep and older Mac i recon if nothing else, since Apple combined line in/headphone on same port in later Mac's.

still possible, u just gotta use software instead to get round it. By the way..... u never go into much software :)

Audio HiJack comes to mind in this day and age. Well worth the price.. if u wanna record from/to multiple sources.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Holy crap, this thread is like a time capsule, haha! It's amazing how far we've come in digital audio in the last decade and how simple this information now seems to the common reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.