Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
No, I'm not reselling/scalping them. One is mine, the other two are for my teenagers. First, I followed Wario64 on twitter. The account posts a ton of affiliate linked deals for random games and hardware, but he also has the drop on PS5 releases faster than anyone else I have found.

I also followed this page. After that, it was just being persistent. A lot of times stock would empty out but I would keep refreshing. My hypothesis is that payment declines took place or bots were filtered out and stock was available as all but one of the PS5s I got were after "Sold out" popped up. Also key is being signed into the site you are on. Walmart, Target, etc.-make sure you're signed in and payment and address preferences are already taken care of. The last thing you want to do is have to enter card info and lose out.

First PS5: Bundle deal from Gamestop that Wario64 posted. Got it in about 10 seconds.

Second PS5: Sam's Club. This was also a bundle with extra controller and Spider Man. I got notified from Wario64 but was too late, or so I thought. I kept spamming refresh and was able to add to cart. Checkout took 15 seconds from there and I got confirmation.

Third PS5: Got it about an hour ago from Walmart. After 2 failed purchases where I got to the payment page only to see the dreaded "Out of Stock". So after my second failed attempt I left a console in the cart on the iOS app and left it there. I spammed refresh on my MBP for literally 1 1/2 hours and the second I saw them back in stock I checked out on my iPhone and got confirmation>

Hope this helps some people. This was a complete debacle of a release by Sony and I don't want to ever do it again.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
The forum at nowinstock.net is also pretty helpful. That’s how I got my 2nd one (for my brother) from PlayStation Direct. Wario64 was way late.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Was prepared to be disgusted by a scalper when I opened this. :D That's some next level parental gift power there!
Yeah no. It's been a really frustrating experience for all gamers. I'm hoping Sony/Microsoft do something when the next consoles launch in 4-6 years, but not holding my breath. I was tempted to try to get one more and re-sell but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Reactions: MisterSavage

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Geez.....you got three? I'm still trying my best to get one. Damn bots are snapping the things up in milliseconds even when they do come available.

You weren't looking to sell one of those.....by chance? lol?

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Geez.....you got three? I'm still trying my best to get one. Damn bots are snapping the things up in milliseconds even when they do come available.

Sorry bud, but my wife would bury me. Just go with what I posted above. I haven't seen any in the last 2 days at this point, other than Meijer, which I don't live close to and understood to be a cluster. Be patient and you will snag one.

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Sorry bud, but my wife would bury me. Just go with what I posted above. I haven't seen any in the last 2 days at this point, other than Meijer, which I don't live close to and understood to be a cluster. Be patient and you will snag one.

lol....oh I know. I was just messing around. I'll get one eventually. I've got plenty of PC games in the meantime.

rafcorporal

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2018
Derby England.
Hi there, I am 86 years old and new to gaming, have been wondering if my Apple iMac 21.5inch (Feb 2018) running Catalina 10.15.7 would run a PS5 or earlier (funds are a bit low). I am not going to put the dreaded Windows on my machine just to play games!!! Any comment regarding different gaming consoles compatibility would be appreciated this way. Thank you.

Keith in Derby England.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi there, I am 86 years old and new to gaming, have been wondering if my Apple iMac 21.5inch (Feb 2018) running Catalina 10.15.7 would run a PS5 or earlier (funds are a bit low). I am not going to put the dreaded Windows on my machine just to play games!!! Any comment regarding different gaming consoles compatibility would be appreciated this way. Thank you.

Keith in Derby England.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but if you are referring to running PS5 games it will depend on the developer as to whether there is also a PC compatible version. If there is a non-console version it will most likely require Windows and even if you bootcamp your iMac to run windows natively, the PS5 has considerably more graphics power. Unfortunately, your iMac won't be able to run the latest games, at least not on good settings.

If you're talking about using your iMac as a monitor for your PS5, I believe Sony does have remote play, but it still requires you to own a console.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Keith in Derby England.
this makes no sense

rafcorporal

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2018
Derby England.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but if you are referring to running PS5 games it will depend on the developer as to whether there is also a PC compatible version. If there is a non-console version it will most likely require Windows and even if you bootcamp your iMac to run windows natively, the PS5 has considerably more graphics power. Unfortunately, your iMac won't be able to run the latest games, at least not on good settings.

If you're talking about using your iMac as a monitor for your PS5, I believe Sony does have remote play, but it still requires you to own a console.
Hi Traverse, thanks for your reply; it just goes to show how old, thick, stupid and ignorant I am on modern technology. I was under the impression a PC was a requirement when using a PS5 and other game thingies.From your comments I assume all I need to run a PS5 etc is a TV screen as a monitor and not a computer. At least now I can go ahead and experiment. As the old saying goes:- Realisation is a jewel!!!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi Traverse, thanks for your reply; it just goes to show how old, thick, stupid and ignorant I am on modern technology. I was under the impression a PC was a requirement when using a PS5 and other game thingies.From your comments I assume all I need to run a PS5 etc is a TV screen as a monitor and not a computer. At least now I can go ahead and experiment. As the old saying goes:- Realisation is a jewel!!!

No worries! And correct, all you need is the PS5 unit and a TV/monitor. A Mac/PC is not required.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Some games are released for both for game consoles (such as the PS5) and a computer. You could pick which you prefer to play them on. Other games are console exclusives that you must have a console to play.

Reactions: Weaselboy

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017

Best of luck with dipping your toes into this new hobby!
MOST of us would be more than happy to answer questions for you as they come up.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
We’re now in May 2021 and I still am unable to get one.

now, I haven’t been stalking the web day and night because I’m just not going to do that, but I keep Now in Stock in an ever-present tab and semi-frequently check store sites. I really hate how retailers work. If I don’t happen to check in at the exact moment when stock goes live, you are screwed. I don’t know why in the world there is no queue that I can order from and just wait similar to Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The problem is, it’s not necessarily the ‘demand’ for the PS5, if the artificial demand is being controlled by bots. What retailers and online storefronts need to do in the future, somehow embed code where bots cannot purchase large amounts within milliseconds when they’re in stock. Seriously, I’ve talked to retailers around me, and it’s not like they’re having their phones ringing off the hook if there’s anything in stock, it’s all artificial hype that’s been generated from bots we’re not used to seeing, but there’s definitely going to be safe guards put in place in the future to stop this. I mentioned back I think three months ago, I walked into Best Buy, there’s multiple PS5’s sitting on the shelf, which I’m sure they sold that day, but nonetheless, my point is, they’re out there, but it’s a timing aspect.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

now, I haven’t been stalking the web day and night because I’m just not going to do that, but I keep Now in Stock in an ever-present tab and semi-frequently check store sites. I really hate how retailers work. If I don’t happen to check in at the exact moment when stock goes live, you are screwed. I don’t know why in the world there is no queue that I can order from and just wait similar to Apple.
That has to be so frustrating. It took my neighbor months of looking before he finally was able to get one at retail price.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I was able to snag the PS5/Controller/Returnal/MLB21/Hitman 3 bundle with GameStop yesterday. Now just waiting on shipping!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was able to snag the PS5/Controller/Returnal/MLB21/Hitman 3 bundle with GameStop yesterday. Now just waiting on shipping!
That’s a stellar bundle package for the price. Unfortunately, GameStop in my area, are entirely liquidated, all eight stores are gone in just under 12 months. Crazy really.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
That’s a stellar bundle package for the price. Unfortunately, GameStop in my area, are entirely liquidated, all eight stores are gone in just under 12 months. Crazy really.
Yeah, I basically got everything I wanted from that package. Still shocked I was able to actually get it. It’ll be here on Monday.

And yes, GameStop is very much a dying retailer. It won’t be long before the brick and mortar stores around here start closing one-by-one I fear.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Feel kind of funny, but two days after posting this I was able to finally get an order in!. I was following @PS5StockAlerts and had notifications enabled because I was on PTO from work. Wednesday I was notified that Playstation Direct would have stock and you could log into a queue to get a random place in line.

Sat there for an hour and suddenly got "into the store" and was able to purchase exactly what I wanted (digital edition stand alone version). Was able to trade in my PS4 Pro to GameStop for $200 and have already used a portion of that to order the midnight black controller.

Reactions: Cryates

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

The day I decided to jump on the crazy people train and open 10 tabs in chrome and safari I got one. Apparently the Sony site looks at private tabs as separate devices. The issue is before the Sony direct queue opens is you have to pop in and out of each tab to see if it’s throwing a random captcha at you or else it times you out. When I finally did that I had most at an hour, one at 43 minutes, and one at 17 minutes. The 17 minutes tab let me in 4-5 minutes into the drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.