Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Sierra running well on your mid 2011 iMac?

• Total voters

ryanflucas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
but it really isn't. Aside from the glaring differences (Siri), I don't even see much difference from El Capitan. Some tasks are even faster.

My system specs:
-- 21.5" iMac Mid 2011, Core i5 2.7GHZ, 16GB Ram, 1TB 7200RPM traditional hard drive (75% free space),
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB video.

I'm sure I'm not running metal due to my system age but so far it's on par with my last OS install and no issues.

I was expecting I would need to go back to El Capitan using my Time Machine backup but no, it's been smooth sailing so far. My plan remains the same: make manual backups of my files in addition to my Time Machine and idrive cloud Backup, wipe and install a fresh Sierra, restore files. Just to have that clean OS feeling instead of just upgrading like I did.

Then of course buy a new Mac, hopefully come late this year. I'm thinking of leaving iMac behind and buying a MacBook Pro 13" + 27" external IPS display, or maybe dual displays.

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
but it really isn't. Aside from the glaring differences (Siri), I don't even see much difference from El Capitan. Some tasks are even faster.

My system specs:
-- 21.5" iMac Mid 2011, Core i5 2.7GHZ, 16GB Ram, 1TB 7200RPM traditional hard drive (75% free space),
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB video.

I'm sure I'm not running metal due to my system age but so far it's on par with my last OS install and no issues.

I was expecting I would need to go back to El Capitan using my Time Machine backup but no, it's been smooth sailing so far. My plan remains the same: make manual backups of my files in addition to my Time Machine and idrive cloud Backup, wipe and install a fresh Sierra, restore files. Just to have that clean OS feeling instead of just upgrading like I did.

Then of course buy a new Mac, hopefully come late this year. I'm thinking of leaving iMac behind and buying a MacBook Pro 13" + 27" external IPS display, or maybe dual displays.

Finder is slow on my computer. I'm currently looking into going back to el capitan. (MacPro 8-core 32GB)

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Finder is slow on my computer. I'm currently looking into going back to el capitan. (MacPro 8-core 32GB)

It is working great on my late 2011 MBP and that was not even from a fresh install :D After about an hour after install, it has been running very smoothly. Give it some time to index and settle in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.