Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianbeadle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Long story short...

I bought a new iPhone 6s at the apple store with the upgrade program. I was approved for the plan and left the store with a fully functional activated iPhone through Verizon.

6 Months later, I need to cancel the plan since my employer gave me a new work iPhone for work. I called Citizens to pay off the plan so I am free and clear and to my surprise my account has a zero balance with a credit limit of $750, the amount of the iPhone.....hmmmm. the account was setup but never charged!!

The payment plan was set up on autopay thru a credit card I rarely use so I never noticed there were no payments being made.

Am I liable for the cost of the phone? Or should I just call and cancel the line of credit?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Long story short...

I bought a new iPhone 6s at the apple store with the upgrade program. I was approved for the plan and left the store with a fully functional activated iPhone through Verizon.

6 Months later, I need to cancel the plan since my employer gave me a new work iPhone for work. I called Citizens to pay off the plan so I am free and clear and to my surprise my account has a zero balance with a credit limit of $750, the amount of the iPhone.....hmmmm. the account was setup but never charged!!

The payment plan was set up on autopay thru a credit card I rarely use so I never noticed there were no payments being made.

Am I liable for the cost of the phone? Or should I just call and cancel the line of credit?
You'll more than likely be charged when accounting catches up with it. It will look much better for you if you're honest and bring the error to someone's attention.. after all, you did receive the product.

brianbeadle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
@ardchoille50

That is my intention as well but the bank has no idea what to do. They told me to call back in three days and DO NOT call Apple lol. Apple wouldn't be to happy to hear Citizens One is giving away iPhones.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
@ardchoille50

That is my intention as well but the bank has no idea what to do. They told me to call back in three days and DO NOT call Apple lol. Apple wouldn't be to happy to hear Citizens One is giving away iPhones.
Hmm.. 3 days. It sounds like someone is attempting to track down the problem. I would go ahead and follow their instructions, but keep logs/copies of everything, no matter how insignificant, just as a precaution.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Long story short...

I can guarantee when an audit is conducted (Banks are quarterly or sooner) they will find the discrepancy And you will be charged. Believe me.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I can guarantee when an audit is conducted (Banks are quarterly or sooner) they will find the discrepancy And you will be charged. Believe me.
I wouldn't guarantee that. In 2012 I bought an iPhone 5 through a 2 year upgrade and was never charged. I was never charged the 399 price and the 2 year contract never went through. I literally got a free iPhone with no contract.

Contacted apple they said go to at&t. AT&T was clueless and went to apple. Apple said I got a free iPhone.

It's been over 4 years and still no charge. Mistakes happen. This was all at the Apple Store.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wouldn't guarantee that. In 2012 I bought an iPhone 5 through a 2 year upgrade and was never charged. I was never charged the 399 price and the 2 year contract never went through. I literally got a free iPhone with no contract.

Contacted apple they said go to at&t. AT&T was clueless and went to apple. Apple said I got a free iPhone.

It's been over 4 years and still no charge. Mistakes happen. This was all at the Apple Store.

This is not Apple we are talking about for the record. It's a bank and I can guarantee they will find the discrepancy. The OP can believe what he wants. Rest assured, when they are audited, a $650.00 debit will be noted. It's mostly computerized as well. Banks have very strict Audits and more frequent.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

This is a bank, not Apple or AT&T. Citizens One paid Apple $750. Apple got their money, now the bank is out $750. Records will show up indicating a discrepancy.

Reactions: BeeGood

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
So How is it not a bank for me then? Paid using a visa credit card. Never got charged. Wouldn't apple check when they realize they gave away a free iPhone ? They check inventory etc.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
So How is it not a bank for me then? Paid using a visa credit card. Never got charged. Wouldn't apple check when they realize they gave away a free iPhone ? They check inventory etc.

They didn't give away a free iPhone. Apple was paid for it as OP has a contract with Citizens One.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Edit: My bad read your post wrong.

With your issue, AT&T lost out. Every phone sold on subsidy, AT&T paid Apple. So AT&T is the one who never collected properly.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

In your case though it probably went through as a two-year contract in their system and that was that, even if they didn't collect on it.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
If you can get it for free then do it. Who cares Apple has plenty of money and rips all of us off like all the rest of the big companies. So take it as a Christmas present from them.

Reactions: laudern

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If you can get it for free then do it. Who cares Apple has plenty of money and rips all of us off like all the rest of the big companies. So take it as a Christmas present from them.

This has nothing to do with Apple, it has to do with Citizens One. Additionally, who cares if Apple 'rips' people off? If he goes to Apple and they say, "our bad, you can keep it". Fine, he can keep it. Otherwise it is 'stealing'. This is where honesty wins. Just because Apple has lots of money does not mean you can take what does not belong to you.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Just because Apple has lots of money does not mean you can take what does not belong to you.

Tell that to all the people wanting FREE stuff. Oh, the insurance companies make up the losses so it doesn't cost anyone. So it's OK to get all you can take. How many times have you heard this routine?

I think the OP is a stupid jerk to brag about it here. If it were me and I didn't want to pay due to some oversight, I sure wouldn't be bragging about it to the world.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
This has nothing to do with Apple, it has to do with Citizens One. Additionally, who cares if Apple 'rips' people off? If he goes to Apple and they say, "our bad, you can keep it". Fine, he can keep it. Otherwise it is 'stealing'. This is where honesty wins. Just because Apple has lots of money does not mean you can take what does not belong to you.
I agree with you there but it's also not the op's fault they didn't charge him. I'm just saying I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure they get the money. its there problem not his.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I agree with you there but it's also not the op's fault they didn't charge him. I'm just saying I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure they get the money. its there problem not his.

I would make sure to attempt to fix it right away. It could easily come back to bite you and ruin your credit for years to come, all over $750. I agree its not the OP's fault. But I believe the OP wants it settled and not to have to worry about it in the future.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I would make sure to attempt to fix it right away. It could easily come back to bite you and ruin your credit for years to come, all over $750. I agree its not the OP's fault. But I believe the OP wants to settled and not to have to worry about it in the future.
And it could happen at the worst possible moment. Life isn't fun if you're always wondering when a financial error is going to hit you.

Just because another person was able to benefit from a clerical error doesn't mean I can count on the same error going unseen forever.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Last year when I purchased an iPhone 6s from AT&T something happened and they never charged me for it. I even went into the AT&T store to correct the situation. The store manager told me that I was one lucky guy because every now and then a phone slips through the cracks and the receiver owns it free and clear with nothing on their account showing up. Over a year later I can say that they never did charge me.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Last year when I purchased an iPhone 6s from AT&T something happened and they never charged me for it. I even went into the AT&T store to correct the situation. The store manager told me that I was one lucky guy because every now and then a phone slips through the cracks and the receiver owns it free and clear with nothing on their account showing up. Over a year later I can say that they never did charge me.

But you made the attempt to correct the situation. I guess thats the real point here. If you attempt and get away lucky, congrats. But if you don't truly attempt it may come back to bite you.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
OP says "The payment plan was set up on autopay thru a credit card I rarely use so I never noticed there were no payments being made."

I am not "buying" that. OP buys a 750.00 product and had to get statements of some type. But, never knew there were no charges made. Either made this up or as financially inept as the young man who worked for me decades ago and thought as long as he had checks in his checkbook, there was money in his account. Obviously, he wrote out a few bad checks till it caught up with him.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
OP says "The payment plan was set up on autopay thru a credit card I rarely use so I never noticed there were no payments being made."

I am not "buying" that. OP buys a 750.00 product and had to get statements of some type. But, never knew there were no charges made. Either made this up or as financially inept as the young man who worked for me decades ago and thought as long as he had checks in his checkbook, there was money in his account. Obviously, he wrote out a few bad checks till it caught up with him.

I mean in all fairness, all my statements are paperless and I don't always check all my statements thoroughly before paying. If something seems off then I check. But then on the flip side, Citizen One sends me an email monthly when they about to withdraw my payment from my account. I see both sides of it. I am leaning on the side of "we aren't getting the full story."

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Rest assured, Citizens will get their money. I'm surprised in here that some Seem not to understand what banks can and cannot do. When the bank figures out the discrepancy, they will charge or debit the Op's account.

And for the record, even if the OP vacates away from Citizen, they will it assess it on his taxes or suit him civilly which will likely levy his wages/bank account. Anyone wondering if this is accurate, Contact Citizens and ask for terms and conditions for legalities.

Also, the OP has the audacity to start a thread on a free iPhone. My thoughts are he is looking for support or feedback because he is nervous and wanting to know if others are wondering if the bank will charge him. I think he is on the verge of committing fraud, knowingly he received something he should come forth with and be honest.

Which, I'm assuming he won't be back in this thread anymore.

Reactions: Mike5254

Mike5254

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
Cincinnati and Philippines
Rest assured, Citizens will get their money. I'm surprised in here that some Seem not to understand what banks can and cannot do. When the bank figures out the discrepancy, they will charge or debit the Op's account.

And for the record, even if the OP vacates away from Citizen, they will it assess it on his taxes or suit him civilly which will likely levy his wages/bank account. Anyone wondering if this is accurate, Contact Citizens and ask for terms and conditions for legalities.

Also, the OP has the audacity to start a thread on a free iPhone. My thoughts are he is looking for support or feedback because he is nervous and wanting to know if others are wondering if the bank will charge him. I think he is on the verge of committing fraud, knowingly he received something he should come forth with and be honest.

Which, I'm assuming he won't be back in this thread anymore.
It can be a delay for the part of internal auditors of the bank, but once the external auditors (independent body) sees discrepancies, be ready to shell out some cash (fees, penalties, plus interest). Keep your papers organized for future reference. Parties will be held liable.

Reactions: BeeGood
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.