Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rambler358

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2014
Torrance, CA
With the introduction of the new Mac Pro, I was really hoping Apple would support Nvidia GPUs in Catalina. But there's currently nothing to indicate this. Why is Apple just sticking with AMD graphics, which IMHO is inferior to Nvidia?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It's been over a year now. There has been much discussion, including petitions, about this issue and we seem to be no further toward a resolution, unless that resolution is no Nvidia support for Apple - EVER! Neither company has made any public statements concerning the situation and the public, including the press, is left in the dark.

My mini protest, was to sell most of my Apple stock, in hindsight, a mistake 13879dunno.gif

Lou

Reactions: rambler358

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
It's been over a year now. There has been much discussion, including petitions, about this issue and we seem to be no further toward a resolution, unless that resolution is no Nvidia support for Apple - EVER! Neither company has made any public statements concerning the situation and the public, including the press, is left in the dark.

My mini protest, was to sell most of my Apple stock, in hindsight, a mistake View attachment 841062

Lou

So there was a couple of responses from Nvidia here:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...cuda-10-and-macos-10-14/post/5286813/#5286813

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...drivers-be-released-for-macos-mojave-10-14-/1

And there was talk somewhere in that Nvidia support had claimed to have released web drivers for Mojave but Apple refused to sign them. But I can't find the post. Several new organizations, even Forbes oddly, said the same thing. However, Apple isn't saying anything (typical) and Nvidia isn't saying much (also typical) and so speculation as to what is going on behind the scenes continues to run rampant.

Most recently there was talk that a DriverKit API might be the solution, but unless I'm missing something (and I'm not an expert), that seems to be a bust too:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/driverkit-api-works-for-gpus.2183918/

Reactions: ASentientBot

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The links you posted are not responses from Nvidia 1387914497.gif They are a couple of utterances from low level employees that say nothing.

Lou

Reactions: handheldgames

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
^^^^The links you posted are not responses from Nvidia View attachment 841105 They are a couple of utterances from low level employees that say nothing.

Lou

That's only somewhat true - the first post is by the product manager of CUDA. While he's not a mucky-muck, he's also not exactly a low-level employee and these forum/community posts have spawned multiple news articles on the subject which quote people (sometimes anonymously in the case of Apple).

However, it is true the posts don't say a lot and Apple has never really said anything as far as I can tell (and Nvidia hasn't said anything themselves in awhile). Which is why most of what has been written by users like us is still speculation as neither company has trumpeted through major PR channels what's actually going on (it should be noted that some news agencies have placed the blame on Apple and even quoted anonymous sources within Apple that the situation is political, but while these new stories are interesting, present a valid hypothesis, and are quite possibly true, I don't necessarily swear by them nor suggest anyone else does either).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.