Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I had tried cleaning in other ways (knockoff braided loop in a starlight-like color), and just couldn’t get the band to look good. Someone on here said they just toss theirs in the washer. I wasn’t sure if that was legit, but I figured what the heck with a $10 band, so I tried it, then I went ahead and just tossed in the dryer. The band looks like brand new, and fits like brand new. Looks to have had zero effect on it whatsoever other than cleaning and slightly shrinking. VERY pleased with the result, and just figured I’d share.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I got my wife the purple braided loop for her birthday, and barely a month later, it's reasonably grimy. I might have to give this a shot -- did you wash it with other laundry or just on its own?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I got my wife the purple braided loop for her birthday, and barely a month later, it's reasonably grimy. I might have to give this a shot -- did you wash it with other laundry or just on its own?

Just threw it in with a batch of clothes. Of course this was a knockoff version, so not a lot to lose if it didn’t work, but someone else on here said they wash theirs in the washer, so I tried it and was super pleased with how it came out.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I’m glad to see this, because I have a knockoff braided solo loop that gets dirty much more quickly than any of my sport loop bands. I don’t know if it’s the braiding or what, but I’m sick of having to hand wash it so often and it still not looking great.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m glad to see this, because I have a knockoff braided solo loop that gets dirty much more quickly than any of my sport loop bands. I don’t know if it’s the braiding or what, but I’m sick of having to hand wash it so often and it still not looking great.

Well mine is like the starlight color, so it just gets dirty so easily. It looks like new when it comes out the dryer, plus it shrinks it back after getting stretched.

Reactions: bhodinut and Ntombi

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I tried something new that worked yesterday: wearing it in the shower.

I wear my Watch in the shower for safety reasons, but I usually switch out the band for my least favorite sport loop. This time, I left the braided solo loop on and gave it a lazy finger scrub with shower gel along with my arm. When it dried, it was totally clean.

So I think I’ll stop switching bands for showering when I wear my braided solo loops.

I realize that many (most?) don’t wear their Watches in the shower, but if you do, give it a shot.

Reactions: ssledoux

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
My wife's braided loop has been cleaning nicely; admittedly, I rub some Oxyclean onto the band before throwing it in the washer, but it looks very clean. Not perfect, but 90% better than before.

I also just threw my orange Alpine Loop in the wash (with Oxy), and it is 100% better...looks like I just pulled it from the box.

Reactions: ssledoux

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I had tried cleaning in other ways (knockoff braided loop in a starlight-like color), and just couldn’t get the band to look good. Someone on here said they just toss theirs in the washer. I wasn’t sure if that was legit, but I figured what the heck with a $10 band, so I tried it, then I went ahead and just tossed in the dryer. The band looks like brand new, and fits like brand new. Looks to have had zero effect on it whatsoever other than cleaning and slightly shrinking. VERY pleased with the result, and just figured I’d share.
What kind of laundry soap do you use?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a mesh bag that I throw mine into when doing laundry. You can use sport washes that completely rinse out if that's a concern. Atsko makes an excellent product. Normally I just use Tide Free. Either of these have worked very well. If it's very dirty, I pre treat with Shout or whatever your stain removal preference is, then wash it. I've not thrown them in the dryer, I prefer to air dry them but may need to give drying a braided loop as mine is now a little looser than I'd like.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Yeah I need to shrink mine, it's become way too loose. By far my favorite band though. Basically can't use any other band now except for specific scenarios where I want to prevent it from getting dirty.

Juk3s

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
I got a knockoff from amazon. Feels pretty damn close to the real ones. But they discontinued them off amazon I think. Only sell the fake rubber ones that are imprinted to look braided. Where do you guys get your knock off ones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.