Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan735

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2021
Probably the most exciting tech keynote I've seen since Steve Jobs. Live performance. Cool demos. Great dev features.

If Apple could move away from the sterile, scripted, pre-recorded propaganda videos and go back to live keynotes that would be great.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I miss the live events too, and I hope they return, but I don’t see that happening. They promote very different products, so I don’t think live is necessarily the best format for showing off new hardware. For example, I think Vision Pro wouldn’t have made sense to show off live on a stage.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Until Cook gives up the reigns, I don't see that happen. He seems like a really nice guy, but he is about as interesting to watch as a cucumber, and his repetitive "We think our users are going to love them!" and "These are the best iPhones we've EVER made!" got bored years ago.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Until Cook gives up the reigns, I don't see that happen. He seems like a really nice guy, but he is about as interesting to watch as a cucumber, and his repetitive "We think our users are going to love them!" and "These are the best iPhones we've EVER made!" got bored years ago.
Has Apple been successful of late because of Tim Cook, or in spite of him?

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
What does that have to do with the topic?
What I'm saying is - Tim Cook, being a bean-counter (and no disrespect to bean-counting - as I have a history), might have imprinted a stifling, cost-focused, unimaginative culture on the rest of Apple. Who knows how much more successful Apple could have been had Jobs (or someone more like him) still been in charge?

• Haha
Reactions: Hardijs and kitKAC

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I think it was always better to see the events live because you can get live audience reactions that actually enhance the keynote and make them historically significant.

The unlocking of the first iPhone would have been far less significant or even historically impactful if not for everyone crapping themselves in the audience when Steve did it. They have a whole damn theater named after Steve and they don’t even use it really, at least publicly.

On one hand Apple is so big that they can get away with not doing live events, on the other hand Apple probably knows that their foundation (the hardcore fanboys like many of us) needs to be kept fed or else we will slowly turn on them, and I think a lot of us are more critical of Apple than we were in the past. I certainly am. I think at the very least WWDC needs to be live once more.

Reactions: Hardijs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.