Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
I’m not sure it’s due to this but recently my iPhone screen has been dimming even I’m still using it. I sprayed it one time on the tissue and gently wiped on just the glass protection part of the screen. Do you think my phone is damaged? It doesn’t happen all the time, it happens sometimes. I used 75% cleaning product not the type for medical use so I’m worried.

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
You’re g2g. I’ve been using alcohol wipes from my work and no problems whatsoever.

Dan50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
But it was a cleaning type that says 75 percent alcohol which is used to clean products for items such as tables and doorknobs. It’s not an alcohol wipe that’s used to wipe your hands with.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It's fine! All you've done is slightly hasten the deterioration of the oleophobic coating, which (in my experience with 10 iPhones over the last 11 years) only really lasts for 3-6 months, anyway.

Dan50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
It's fine! All you've done is slightly hasten the deterioration of the oleophobic coating, which (in my experience with 10 iPhones over the last 11 years) only really lasts for 3-6 months, anyway.
So it didn’t affect my device? Just the phone coating? I’m worried because of the dimming situation I have at times. I’m worried if the alcohol went inside my device underneath the glass

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Wiping with alcohol won't hurt anything on the phone. I've used those little prep pads for 5 years on the same phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.