Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I wouldn't be against it. I liked the look of the 5c, just not the tradeoff to price ratio. Let's say we have everything the X has with maybe an LCD screen. Bring it in around $600 and I would heavily consider.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, those looks like kids play phones.

Meh... it takes it from classic to toy

You guys realize that apple actually had these types of phones before - the iPhone 5c
iphone_5c_colours.jpg

Vs

iPhone-Xc-iDrop-News-x-Martin-Hajek-4.jpg

I would get this in a heartbeat. I loved my 5c, it was my favorite iPhone of all time - still is even over the X

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nope, those looks like kids play phones.

I think we (Consumers) have gotten into a cycle where phones are so premium in the metals, materials and overall how well they are constructed today, that plastic is no longer really acceptable in so many different respects. I think when consumers see plastic phones, they immediately establish this being a cheaper alternative they're not interested in unless they want something that's not as expensive.

As someone who used a plastic Samsung Galaxy phone years ago, I actually liked how well it was made in terms of the plastic used. But in today's smart phone era, I have zero interest in purchasing another plastic phone ever again. I Really appreciate Apples choice of aluminum/Stainless/glass used and just gives the phone a premium feel, especially given what we pay for smart phones today.

Reactions: akash.nu

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sure. Different colors, no more than $549, I would bite. Most of my iPhone cases have been plastic so I would not mind.
With that said, the iPhone X is Apple's flagship/premier product and as such I don't think they'll be keen on devaluing the design quite yet. While I'd love to see this, I'm not sure we will, at least in the near future. Just because the iPhone 5c was priced at a lower point then the other iPhones, so the Xc would would likely be at a lower price point

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You guys realize that apple actually had these types of phones before - the iPhone 5c
View attachment 741153

Vs

View attachment 741154

I would get this in a heartbeat. I loved my 5c, it was my favorite iPhone of all time - still is even over the X

Yeah and 5C was not at all loved by users, remember? Apple discontinued it shortly. I don’t think plastic back is a thing anymore. It’s either metal or glass now.

I think we (Consumers) have gotten into a cycle where phones are so premium in the metals, materials and overall how well they are constructed today, that plastic is no longer really acceptable in so many different respects. I think when consumers see plastic phones, they immediately establish this being a cheaper alternative they're not interested in unless they want something that's not as expensive.

As someone who used a plastic Samsung Galaxy phone years ago, I actually liked how well it was made in terms of the plastic used. But in today's smart phone era, I have zero interest in purchasing another plastic phone ever again. I Really appreciate Apples choice of aluminum/Stainless/glass used and just gives the phone a premium feel, especially given what we pay for smart phones today.

THIS

Reactions: 44267547

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah and 5C was not at all loved by users, remember? Apple discontinued it shortly. I don’t think plastic back is a thing anymore. It’s either metal or glass now.
I disagree, I think it found a niche following and it wasn't discontinued rather they chose not to create a 6c due to the new design. I agree/admit that sales may have caused that to occur but I do hold on that many people like myself loved it :)

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

That doesn't make them any less garish. I'm well aware of the 5c line. I would never get one for myself.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
With that said, the iPhone X is Apple's flagship/premier product and as such I don't think they'll be keen on devaluing the design quite yet. While I'd love to see this, I'm not sure we will, at least in the near future. Just because the iPhone 5c was priced at a lower point then the other iPhones, so the Xc would would likely be at a lower price point

I would agree with your post.

Probably not until the third or fourth gen of that design will we see a significant discount.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Definitely would have fewer broken iphones.
Right. Why buy premium material phone to cover it up with a garish case?

(Yes, I know many people don't use cases.... I see more cases than not, though)
[doublepost=1512832120][/doublepost]

So what if Apple came up with a 7000 series plastic (roll with it): "stronger plastic"? And priced it at $450 like the SE, to replace the 4.7" devices? SE - Xc - X - X+

Reactions: kazmac and one more

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Most of my iPhone cases have been plastic so I would not mind.
Like kazmac said, he/she and many more people put (cheap) plastic cases on their expensive stainless steel and glass phones so I don’t think plastic is the issue, I would say it could be the opposite for some people because it’s much more durable than aluminum/glass. I have seen a lot of people buying cases for their iPhone because they are too afraid to drop it and break it.
Have you actually used/held an iPhone 5c in your hands ? The plastic is miles ahead of any Samsung phones ever produced.
Yeah and 5C was not at all loved by users, remember? Apple discontinued it shortly.
Where did you heard that the iPhone 5c was disliked by most people ? I have seen a lot of iPhone 5c in the wild. Remember that MacRumors users aren’t the majority, they are only a very small portion of Apple users.

Plus I don’t see what you mean by « discontinued shortly », the iPhone 5c have been sold from September 2013 to September 2015, that’s 2 years in the Apple Store which is pretty good if you ask me. I would use the term « discontinued shortly » for a device like the iPhone 5 which have been sold by Apple for « only » a year or, even less, the iPad 3 which have been sold from mid-March 2012 to early-November 2012.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Would buy it straight away, 5C was the king of durability in my experience. iPhone X, on the contrary, is way too fragile, glossy and slippery the way it is now.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Take away the dual camera for additional cost savings and use LCD and this could actually happen. I doubt I’d ever get one but I liked the 5c. I have a white one on display in my office.

Reactions: JM and kazmac

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Take away the dual camera for additional cost savings and use LCD and this could actually happen. I doubt I’d ever get one but I liked the 5c. I have a white one on display in my office.
Hmm...or leave the premium features in, make the plastic tough as nails and market it as the iPhone X Active, like the Samsung S8 Active. Of course Apple would then charge more for it. :rolleyes: But I actually would buy that. My beautiful silver X is currently encased in a less than lovely Otterbox Defender anyway, as I head out into the snow in an hour.

There is absolutely no way I think my idea would fly, but it’s fun to daydream what I would have Apple make for me if I were the Empress of Everything. :D

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
7/8 camera is pretty great.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So what if Apple came up with a 7000 series plastic (roll with it): "stronger plastic"? And priced it at $450 like the SE, to replace the 4.7" devices? SE - Xc - X - X+

I know you are a using a theory with the "7000 Series Plastic", however 6000/7000 Series refers to aluminum, not plastic. As I mentioned before, plastic just doesn't appease to me in general. Perhaps it would to others for that price as As you mentioned, but I just prefer aluminum, glass or stainless steel encasing the iPhone. I just like the premium feel and added weight to what the iPhone has evolved in to today. To each their own what they prefer with what type of material the iPhone is generated of. But if I pay a premium price for a phone, then I like knowing that Phone craftsmanship with metal, glass, etc.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Like kazmac said, he/she and many more people put (cheap) plastic cases on their expensive stainless steel and glass phones so I don’t think plastic is the issue, I would say it could be the opposite for some people because it’s much more durable than aluminum/glass. I have seen a lot of people buying cases for their iPhone because they are too afraid to drop it and break it.

I don't necessarily think The consumer chooses plastic because the concern of dropping it. I believe it's because of the price point would be a lot more affordable for a plastic 5C than compared to a $1000 iPhone X. Some consumers have no interest in having the latest features and capabilities on the most expensive iPhone, when They want to have the iPhone experience in general with a Phone similar to the iPhone 5c for half the price running the latest version of iOS if it were a reality.

And just a side note, whenever I hear about iPhone durability, all smart phones are fragile one way or the other. It's based on the impact of the drop and how it happened that if an iPhone survives or not.
[doublepost=1512840376][/doublepost]
Have you actually used/held an iPhone 5c in your hands ? The plastic is miles ahead of any Samsung phones ever produced.

I'm very well aware of the iPhone 5C line up. And I was not comparing Samsungs Galaxy plastic to the iPhone 5c. I mentioned how the Galaxy was actually durable with its plastic when I used one years ago, but I appreciate the transition With more premium materials used today with stainless steel/glass in smart phones today. Either way, I would never transition back to plastic phone, no matter how durable it is. I'm not interested in that type of material for a smart phone, when I would be willing to pay a premium for how iPhones/smart phones are manufactured. It's all preference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.