Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulryp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Seriously, Android on mobile is so customisable and solid now. If Android was turned into a tent pole OS for desktops i wouldn't even hesitate at all. I think this entire community is frustrated with the cost of Macs. Its a total nonsense that we have to pay 3x the price of the equivalent PC.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
You can't possibly be serious. I know your post started with the word 'seriously', but still. Does Android OS even exist? Why even bother thinking about it? Get a Windows PC.

I think this entire community is frustrated with the cost of Macs. Its a total nonsense that we have to pay 3x the price of the equivalent specked PC.

I think people have been 'frustrated with the cost of Macs' since the first Mac launched in 1984 and yet they're still selling, so I don't believe your statistics. Also, you don't 'have to' buy anything, it's your own decision.

paulryp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Im just not a fan of windows for anything more than casual use. The good thing with Android is you can skin it and wrap it to look & act like anything else. So in theory it would be like a Hackingtosh that didn't break with a malicious Apple update.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Im just not a fan of windows for anything more than casual use. The good thing with Android is you can skin it and wrap it to look & act like anything else. So in theory it would be like a Hackingtosh that didn't break with a malicious Apple update.

So macOS is too expensive, you're not a fan of Windows, that leaves you with Linux. Good luck!

paulryp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
I remember the days of Power computing clones. Its a shame we don't have 3rd party Macs anymore. Todays mac options seem to be, suck it up and pay through the nose then double it, or get out. Which is fine and ill probably just Get out.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I remember the days of Power computing clones. Its a shame we don't have 3rd party Macs anymore. Todays mac options seem to be, suck it up and pay through the nose then double it, or get out. Which is fine and ill probably just Get out.

To each is own. Good luck to you.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Buy a Chromebook that runs Android apps?

This!

You can get a decent spec'd Chromebook that will run Android apps for a pretty reasonable price. The Samsung Plus does the trick but if you want something with more power then take a look at the Samsung Pro.. It's like $550 for the Pro and it comes with an intel processor and 4GB of RAM which should be plenty for ChromeOS... The Plus and Pro both come with a version of the SPen that fits inside the machine and both run Android apps....

Plus --> http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/12-14/xe513c24-k01us-xe513c24-k01us/

Pro --> http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/12-14/samsung-chromebook-pro-xe510c24-k01us/

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
This!

You can get a decent spec'd Chromebook that will run Android apps for a pretty reasonable price. The Samsung Plus does the trick but if you want something with more power then take a look at the Samsung Pro.. It's like $550 for the Pro and it comes with an intel processor and 4GB of RAM which should be plenty for ChromeOS... The Plus and Pro both come with a version of the SPen that fits inside the machine and both run Android apps....

Plus --> http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/12-14/xe513c24-k01us-xe513c24-k01us/

Pro --> http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/12-14/samsung-chromebook-pro-xe510c24-k01us/

Those are the new hotness but I'd still take the Pixel over both.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I had the OG LTE Pixel then the 2015 LS.. Stellar machines! Plus you can run Linux (crouton) inside the OS.... I assume the plus and pro can run crouton as well without issue but haven't really looked into it..

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I had the OG LTE Pixel then the 2015 LS.. Stellar machines! Plus you can run Linux (crouton) inside the OS.... I assume the plus and pro can run crouton as well without issue but haven't really looked into it..

I have and OG Pixel and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm a tinkerer and Linux user and this is the first laptop I've owned that I wouldn't change anything about. While crouton doesn't run my preferred distro it does run pretty much anything Debian based flawlessly and the switch is seamless. I freaking love my Chromebook

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Another option, and this is a killer machine with Pixel like specs, is the HP G1... qHD screen, core m7 with 16GB RAM and it's on sale at Amazon now for $660......

In order to run Android apps on it I believe you have to go to the dev channel but the Play Store is slated to come it it on Stable as well... It also easily runs crouton..

I believe this machine normally retails for 1K....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M29N9BR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Tbh Android is like Windows, sure it does more feature wise and might be open to more flexible usage... but does it do anything well?!

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
After a decade, i left Android for ios and im happier, bored but happier.

Better hardware and software on Apple side for a little more money. I get more sleep and i have less stress.

There is an old saying; A pig with lipstic is still a pig. So no matter how you dress up android it will still act it self.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.