Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Okay, I tested out a Tablet PC and I really like this way better than dragging an extra Wacom tablet around with a laptop. Could Apple get us a Tablet Apple Powerbook soon?

Or else I may have to use the evil Windows XP Tablet or some old school tablet for sure! ;)

Hmm... perhaps the touch screen patent is leading to a Tablet Mac!... iTablet!

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
There is no such thing as a Powerbook!:D Would you settle for a Tablet Macbook?

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
I really want an iTablet too...:mad: *but* unfortunately, I can't agree with you on the "book" form factor. :eek: I really like the slate form factor better than the convertibles. It would be great for Apple to come out with something similar to the Motion Computing LS800 or LE1600.

If you think about it(or if I think about it, rather), it wouldn't make sense for Apple to make a convertible tablet (if they *ever* make a tablet) because it would compete with the Macbook/Pro series of notebooks. The true slate form factor would separate the product lines by giving users the ability to choose different levels of portability:

Portable/Desktop replacement: 17" MBP
Portable: 15" MBP
Very portable/compact: 13.3" MB/MBP
Ultra portable: 8" iPad slate tablet

Apple could, for example, make a slate tablet with components that are similar to the (reported) Macbooks, but with a definite performance separation (or size difference...perhaps a 8-10" screen). That way, the tablet would not begin to look like an all-around replacement/alternative to any one of their notebook models.

I'm with you though...I'm actually saving up to buy a new windows-based tablet pc (the LS800) to use with my PB. BTW, just for the heck of it...check out the Sahara iTablet. Look familiar? ;)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
When Apple, not if, puts out the iTablet (I like that) or the iTablet MacBook Pro, I think they could/would charge somewhere around $3299 for it, heck I'd pay that for it. Graphics Designers and Photo Enthusiasts would be going nuts for one of those.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Yes, I would also like to see Apple release a tablet Mac. Not sure that I would buy one, but I am sure there are plenty of people who would love to buy one for themselves. :)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Tablet Mac is one of my wish lists. There are many people who have not even used or exposed to Tablet PC but decided Tablet form does not benefit the user. As a former skeptics on relevance of the tablet PC format, I feel it would benefit some people who are slightly interested in the model by visiting the nearby retailer (please note the brick and motor shopts only carry the run-of-the-mill generic tablet PC; nice ones are usually via online sale) to play with it a little (to get a feel of it) or start visiting some tablet PC web forums for online discussions on various topics on tablet PC.

I have been using Fujitsu Tablet and I like this. The only Windows PC I might buy in the future would be tablet (convertable version or slate version) model.

I hope Apple sees the market in the tablet PC and make one.

Just imagine....

you can bring this in the meeting and write memos/minutes of the meeting on the tablet screen (using/typing on notebook PC in the meeting is not a good manner in the business setting)

you wake up the tablet Mac in a few secs and start using it write away (Windows takes longer waking up from sleep)

Doodle on the screen using Alias Sketchbook Pro, Painter IX, or others and use that doodle as the outline for the design/art work you would like to make, or start painting right away to complete the design/art works.

Write down your appointments with your customers while on the phone (it's tough to do so with one hand holding the phone and ther other trying to type up the appointment on the scheduling app on PC).

Write down high light on PowerPoint or Keynote slides during the presentation (like a sports caster on TV showing you the football tactics on the screen with pens)

Edit word and other document files in handwriting notations (like a school teacher marking student papers).

Because I have started using this tablet PC in my daily work flow, I was able to reduce the files I need to carry around (eventually no file by keeping everything in electronic including notes I take during the meeting and appointments). But, I prefer OS X to Windows and I have already made the transition to Mac as my current main apps (CS2, MX 2004, and others) are being used with my Macs.

If Apple makes a tablet Mac, I would certainly give it try.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
aricher said:
I'd be happy if they just added a small Wacom pad to the spacious area on the 17" palm rests.
I also use Wacom 4X6 and 6X9 tablet with my Macs on the daily basi. I am not sure how that small patch of Wacom on the Palm rest areas will be of use:confused: The main benefit of Tablet is you can draw (with pressure sentitivity) with the computer like a natural paper media (it is difficult to draw with a mouse).

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
make sure it acctually comes with the original install disks, it's hell to get a copy of tablet edition win XP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.