Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpartaMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2021
NJ
Greetings all,

I would like your opionion if you would not mind please. I own a space gray 14" M1 MacBook pro (16G/512G) since 03/22 and experimented with it for work alittle bit at a time and finally got used to working on it for work 100% of the time and hardly ever used the work windows computer. Two months ago it was time to get a new work computer and my manager agreed I could buy a MAC so I got an M3 14" MBP space black 18G/512G. I use it connected to an LG 34" Ultrawide monitor in clamshell mode 90% of the time (work from home 100%). The opinion I am looking for is should I trade in my M1 14" MBP for a new M3 14" MBP or keep what I have. Let me add a cavaet to this. Since it started as an experiment and plugged in most of the time I have the following report on my battery. On one hand it would be nice to have the latest and greatst but I would hate to give up this machince since its in such great shape. Im not allowed to use my work computer for anything personal and I do not do anything intensive except ocassionally run a VM with RHEL 9.x so I believe the M1 pro should be fine for a few more yeqars.

Thanks in advance for any opinion you may share.

1709921216412.png

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
If the M1 meets all of your needs, which I believe you are saying it does, my question is why do you want to get an M3?

Reactions: Chuckeee

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don’t really see much room for an “opinion” here… you didn’t say that the M1 is causing any difficulties or that you’re going to trade it for a 1TB or some other difference. So my assumption is that you don’t “need” a new computer, you just want one.

If you want a new computer and can afford it, Vaya con Dios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.