Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Hello all. In my 2009 4,1 (flashed to 5,1) I swapped out my Xeon W3520 for an i7-940 for funzies. I also swapped out my ADATA PC3-10600 ECC for Kingston PC3-10600 non-ECC memory. Windows 7 boots up just fine, but any version of OS X kernel panics. The Kingston ram seemed to work fine with the Xeon, but with the i7 it's no joy. The kernel panic is hard to read, but I'm assuming that it's the i7. Any good way to test it? I'm attaching a photo of the panic for what it's worth. I'd like to know what's wrong with it so I can return it to the eBay seller.

I already did a pram/smc reset, removed all the other drives, etc.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It looks like MacOS's power management driver is not compatible with your CPU. Other people have used i7 CPUs within the same family and reported success, so that CPU should work.

How is the CPU labelled? It might be an Engineering Sample instead of a real production model, with different power management code. And perhaps Windows power management doesn't care but MacOS power management does.

By the way you don't have to change the RAM. The i7 is compatible with ECC RAM even though it can't make use of ECC.

As a workaround, it appears that many Hackintoshes have this problem with any number of CPUs not fully supported by MacOS, and they install a kext called "NullCPUPowerManagement" that gets around it. Perhaps the same trick would work for you.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
It didn’t have the “intel confidential” or “ES” on it. Can you point me to a n00b how-to on installing kexts?

AHT is reporting an error, but I can’t read it in my 4K monitor.

It looks like MacOS's power management driver is not compatible with your CPU. Other people have used i7 CPUs within the same family and reported success, so that CPU should work.

How is the CPU labelled? It might be an Engineering Sample instead of a real production model, with different power management code. And perhaps Windows power management doesn't care but MacOS power management does.

By the way you don't have to change the RAM. The i7 is compatible with ECC RAM even though it can't make use of ECC.

As a workaround, it appears that many Hackintoshes have this problem with any number of CPUs not fully supported by MacOS, and they install a kext called "NullCPUPowerManagement" that gets around it. Perhaps the same trick would work for you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It didn’t have the “intel confidential” or “ES” on it. Can you point me to a n00b how-to on installing kexts?

Man, it's been a long long time since I've done that, but I vaguely remember there was a tedious manual process of moving files around or modifying files and then either repairing permissions or manually setting specific permissions. The preferred method was Kext Drop or Kext Utility or something else where you'd just drop the Kext onto the app's window and it would do everything necessary for you. I think I used Cindori's KEXT Drop. I don't know if it still works in the era of SIP and whatever else, but I'd look for a KEXT installer to do it E-Z style.

One possibility is that it might just be an incompatible CPU. I know you're probably thinking "but it's on the CPU Compatible List that YOU WROTE, Mr. Actionable Mango".

Yeah, well... when I initially created the CPU Compatibility Matrix, I only included CPUs that were actually verified by someone.

Unfortunately over time people kept saying things like "well if that CPU works, then this should work too because it's just a different speed" or whatever reason. I usually gave in because I didn't want to discourage the input.

In particular a whole bunch of the i7's got onto the list that way. It seemed to work out okay because a couple of the "theoretically" compatible CPUs were later tried and did work. So that was good, and those CPUs might not have been tried at all if they weren't on the list.

But now I regret giving in because what's happening to you might be exactly the sort of thing I was worried about and I sometimes I think I should have said "no" at the time. And now I have no idea which CPUs are truly verified and which are theoretically compatible.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I threw in my spare 5,1 tray to try to install kexts: I tried manually, and with Kext Utility, but no luck.

Oh, well. The i7-940 I picked up on eBay for $14.99 on a lark, so I guess I'm not out too much...

You may want to remove the i7-940 or put in a disclaimer. No workie on a flashed 4,1. I even threw the 4,1 tray into my 5,1. Although the kernel panic screen was different, the CPUPowerblahblah was the panic. I wanted to pick up one of the 6-core i7 to play with on my 5,1, but I think that I'll hold off buying one until I can get confirmation.

INTEL (m)(c) '08 i7-940
INTEL (r) CORE(tm) i7
SLBCK COSTA RICA
2.93GHZ/8M/4.80/08
3837A946

IMG_1888.jpg

But now I regret giving in because what's happening to you might be exactly the sort of thing I was worried about and I sometimes I think I should have said "no" at the time. And now I have no idea which CPUs are truly verified and which are theoretically compatible.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You may want to remove the i7-940 or put in a disclaimer.

I think because of this I'm going to go through the whole list of i7's and remove any that I can't find verification for.

I think that I'll hold off buying one until I can get confirmation.

I think the Xeon list is pretty solid. The list for i7 is not so much. If you want to search yourself for verified i7 CPU, here is what I did to verify back when the list was verified CPUs only:
  • Searched for the exact model CPU number on MacRumors. (You don't have to limit yourself to the "Mac Pro" subforum. If the CPU is in an iMac for example, it should be compatible with MacOS.)
  • Googled "Mac Pro [CPU model number]".
  • Checked OWC, Ebay, and other Mac Pro CPU paid upgrade services to see if they listed it as one of their upgrades.

Reactions: handheldgames

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
cool. I went through all 22 pages of the compatibility thread, but didn't find any mention of the 940, except for a pair of instances quoting the wiki.

I think that that;s a good idea. I picked up the 940 because it was on the list, and for me, $15 is not a big deal, but for others, that might be problematic.

I'll post in the compatibility thread that the 940 is no bueno

I think because of this I'm going to go through the whole list of i7's and remove any that I can't find verification for.

I think the Xeon list is pretty solid. The list for i7 is not so much. If you want to search yourself for verified i7 CPU, here is what I did to verify back when the list was verified CPUs only:
  • Searched for the exact model CPU number on MacRumors. (You don't have to limit yourself to the "Mac Pro" subforum. If the CPU is in an iMac for example, it should be compatible with MacOS.)
  • Googled "Mac Pro [CPU model number]".
  • Checked OWC, Ebay, and other Mac Pro CPU paid upgrade services to see if they listed it as one of their upgrades.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
cool. I went through all 22 pages of the compatibility thread, but didn't find any mention of the 940, except for a pair of instances quoting the wiki.

I think that that;s a good idea. I picked up the 940 because it was on the list, and for me, $15 is not a big deal, but for others, that might be problematic.

I'll post in the compatibility thread that the 940 is no bueno

A x5677 can be picked up on ebay for $35ish. 4 cores, 8 threads. 3.46 base, 3.73 boost. it's a x5690 with 2 cores disabled. It idles at 32c and runs 45c under 100% load.

Reactions: thornslack

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a 2.66 6-core x5650 I can put in there instead of the quad-core 2.66. I got some royalties and didn’t want to do the responsible thing, so I blew some cash on stuff for playing around. I don’t even use the 2009, so putting too much effort into it is a time sink.

A x5677 can be picked up on ebay for $35ish. 4 cores, 8 threads. 3.46 base, 3.73 boost. it's a x5690 with 2 cores disabled. It idles at 32c and runs 45c under 100% load.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
It was suggested that the 0089 firmware may have removed the support for the i7. I'm trying to downgrade back to 4,1 firmware, but despite having the 1.8 apple image open, I still get the 5770 error trying to install the 4,1 firmware.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It was suggested that the 0089 firmware may have removed the support for the i7. I'm trying to downgrade back to 4,1 firmware, but despite having the 1.8 apple image open, I still get the 5770 error trying to install the 4,1 firmware.

Don't do that. If you knew how hard, costly and time consuming is to recover from a bad firmware flash, you'd never try this.

yuzgen

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2018
It's listed as compatible on the CPU compatibility thread, so it's strange it's not working, but it's stranger to install an i7 and non-ECC RAM instead of a Xeon and ECC RAM in the Mac Pro. You already stated you're doing it for fun. Seems like you're really having a fun time to me. :cool:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA

Temporarily swapping CPU Trays between cMP's, the 990x is still supported in firmware 0089.

Perhaps it's a bad CPU?

I would return it to the vendor.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: handheldgames

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You still think trying to go back to previous firmware is not advisable?
To go back to 4,1? You’re risking your logic board big time. But to 0085, renaming it to 0090 and putting it on the Firmware folder - could be done without much risk.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
To go back to 4,1? You’re risking your logic board big time. But to 0085, renaming it to 0090 and putting it on the Firmware folder - could be done without much risk.
so get the 0085 firmware, rename it 0090. how do I make it create a firmware folder? just use the 4,1 to 5,1 and copy the files to the ram drive?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
so get the 0085 firmware, rename it 0090. how do I make it create a firmware folder? just use the 4,1 to 5,1 and copy the files to the ram drive?
No.

1) Get MP51.0085.LOCKED.fd, rename it to MP51.0090.LOCKED.fd. You can get it from 10.13.4 or early Mojave betas. 10.13.4 combo installer have it too, but it’s a lot of steps to get it from the combo.
2) Download 10.13.6 full installer from the Mac App Store.
3) Click on the installer, ask to show all files, go to the Contents/Resources/Firmware folder, remove MP51.0089.LOCKED.fd, put the renamed 0085 as 0090 file here.
4) Run the 10.13.6 installer, now it will ask for update the firmware.

I’m typing this on iPhone and it’s really horrible to type long posts on MacRumors, but I think you will get what needs to be done.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Could I also download the 10.13.4 update, and rename the firmware to 90?
If you know how to extract it with Pacifist, it's hidden on so many layers that I'd only do this at last resort.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
suggestions on where to get MP51.0085.LOCKED.fd ? I can't seem to find early beta files, or the full 10.13.4 installer

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
right, but where to get PB1?
If you don't have saved it, you can't get it again since Apple already removed all the previous version from the CDN.

10.13.4 ComboUpdate has the Firmware on the Recovery update, it's really well hidden, but you can find it with some search. I'm on a iPhone and can't help you find it today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.