Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EQuiNoX936

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am currently considering to buy a 2019 iMac with core i9, but without Vega (as i don’t play games nor edit videos).

Am I likely to get more heat problems with this configuration compared to the more common i9+vega? Or any other problems?

Thanks!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I don't think so, no. I mean, it'd probably run hotter if you ran both GPU and CPU a lot together, but if you don't really push the GPU's resources much, it shouldn't be such a worry I'd say

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
No Photoshop or FCPx, not editing large graphics files...

I have Logic but use a different DAW. GPU performance has little effect if any.

Save your money.

You do want the i9 and largest SSD your budget can afford, The first time you bounce a large project to stereo or stems, you'll be glad you spent the extra coin. RAM isn't a huge issue except for plugins and track bouncing. Most users can get by nicely on 32GB though, if you run very large projects, 64GB is a really good idea.

Did you see that the Logic 10.14.5 update was released a couple days ago?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

I've seen demos showing a 10 Core 64GB 1TB iMac Pro running Logic with 300 tracks of VIs, a convo reverb and another plug on every track without breaking a sweat. For comparison, the 12 Core Mac Pro 6.1 was stealing resources at 150 tracks.

The i9 should be fine up to 200–250, perhaps more depending on the number Audio tracks, VIs, effects and plugins.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Does not say how he uses it. That review is absolute nonsense.

Nothing in the OP suggests a need for the 48.

It’s not a bad idea. Say you want to edit iPhone videos for uploading to YouTube or FaceBook, a more common task than some might think. Although the 580x is certainly up to it, the Vega will come in handy and speed things a bit. It may or may not run cooler in the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.