Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MobileSlinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
iAd profit or total revenue

I was talking "per month". So when I said "I've averaged only $162.94", I meant "over that period, I averaged $162.94 in ad revenue each month". Hope that helps.

Quick question: I'm having a hard time getting a clear answer about what is actually earned off iAd, as we recently just went live a few days ago. I know its impressions filled and clicks on ads. But its unclear in the FAQ what field represents the clicks. Is the eCPM = clicks or something I have to formulate? In iTunes connect under iAd network, there are these fields:
1. Revenue $
2. eCPM $
3. Request #
4. Impressions #
5. Fill Rates %
6. CTR %

Is the total income earned from iAd for a given day # 1. Revenue and apple has added all the impressions and clicks to give you the total and thats both in this field (Your total profit)?
or do I combine # 1. Revenue = Impressions & 2. eCPM = Clicks to combine to get total earned profit?

Thanks

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Your revenue is your revenue.

(impressions / 1000) * eCPM = revenue.

eCPM is based off of how much advertisers give to Apple to finance their ads. There's no way for you to control what it will be.

In all the numbers that you see, Apple has already taken their 40% cut.

The other numbers are:

requests: The number of times your app has contacted the iAd server and requested an ad.
impressions: The number of times your app the iAd server has given your app an ad.
fill rate = (impressions / requests) * 100%
CTR - click through rate: (clicks / impressions) * 100%.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Oh, ArtOfWarfare. Here we go again.

Your revenue is your revenue.

This part you have correct! And it's the scary "black box" in the whole picture. You don't know much about this value, just that Apple makes revenue from serving ads and keeps 40% of it. You get the remaining 60%. This is your revenue.

(impressions / 1000) * eCPM = revenue.
While technically correct, revenue is rarely calculated based on eCPM. Instead, it's the other way around. Given the two "source" inputs of impressions and revenue:
eCPM = (revenue ÷ impressions) x 1000​

eCPM is based off of how much advertisers give to Apple to finance their ads. There's no way for you to control what it will be.
Replace eCPM with revenue and you've got it right.

So, why is eCPM important? Mostly, it is used as a benchmark to gauge the effectiveness of your publishing ads. If you get a certain eCPM with iAds and another ad server can guarantee a higher eCPM, you might want to consider switching.

And if you wonder how I know so much (which is still very little, overall) about this, my wife works in Ad Ops and so I can consult with her for clarification. Hope that helps.

MobileSlinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Ah got it. Thank you ArtofWarfare & dejo. Wow, I went way off course with projections as I was originally told and had read in other post that left me with the understanding that you got a fixed amount from Apple. Something like 1 cent for each ad impression and $2.00 for each click on the banner that severed up an ad and then they would take out the 40%. So what I'm really understanding is the revenue field is your only profit and its the formula you guys gave in your examples and there is no way for anyone to ever figure it out as its a moving target based on what Apple has negotiated with the current company placing the ad. Like everyone else in all these posts, I was trying to figure out if my app got to a certain point and has X number of impression each month and average % of click throughs what my target would be in downloads/impression for the app to reach a income of $1000. The closest i can come so far with a few days of data is really at the end of the day its about just slightly more then 1 cent (.0126) for every ad impression and average click through traffic. So the best and simplest formula I can guess to use is 1 cent (.o1 * 100,000 impressions = $1000 to reach that goal. Seeing as how its a moving unknown target anyway. Then adjust the 1 cent up or down depending on the iAd trend for paying developers. So after going back and reading your comments from the last year it might be time for a new strategy. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

jessebwilliams

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
using AdWhirl (inhouse ads)

When I put my own ADS on adWhirl, does it support only Ads that lead to other APP. Can I put an ADS that would lead to iTunes? To a specific song for people to buy....
thanks a lot jesse

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.