Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalesian

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
###EDIT###
Looks like another culprit for damage a rock in the backpack - iBlason just didn't provide full protection for the area. But likely didn't cause the damage in the photos.

This hardshell case seems to be really damaging my Macbook. I just took it off and saw that the aluminum where the case attaches isn't just scratched, it is outright gouged. Macbook hasn't been dropped or otherwise affected, and case connects onto the spot with the damage.

In any case, be careful what case you buy.

Attachments

• IMG_8850.jpg
    IMG_8850.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
This hardshell case seems to be really damaging my Macbook. I just took it off and saw that the aluminum where the case attaches isn't just scratched, it is outright gouged. Macbook hasn't been dropped or otherwise affected, and case connects onto the spot with the damage.

I'd be outraged at the damage that case caused to a new rMB.

tbirdparis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2015
Yikes. Talk about the opposite of why you get a case in the first place.. Thanks for the warning!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Any hard case with any level of physical movement will do this, as aluminium is a relatively soft material. Never seen the purpose in such products, as they offer extremely limited value for physical protection, better to spend on a decent sleeve.

Q-6

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
"In any case, be careful what case you buy." Teehee.

In all seriousness, that's pretty ridiculous. I would let them know about their product. Thanks though for being constructive about it and letting others know.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
You should definitely post this as a review with the photos attached because I'm using the same product from iBlason and I'm afraid I'll be seeing the same issue in the near future.
I've had mine for about four weeks now and yet to have this happen to me. How long have you had yours??

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
While that is significantly worse than I have seen before, I learned my lesson early on with hard-shell cases and my iPhones. Dust and grit is going to inevitably get caught between any case and the device. With a hard case, that means it's trapped there, and just continually gouges the device until the scratches are generally worse than if you'd used no case at all. Now I just look for cases for impact protection, with a careful eye out for the possibility of doing damage like that. Ouch.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto

Contact the manufacture about this!

Thalesian

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Looks like iBlason should be off the hook, I found a rock in my backpack that is the likely culprit for the deep gouges. The case is only guilty of not protecting against those kinds of events - no where near as grievous as causing them.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Looks like iBlason should be off the hook, I found a rock in my backpack that is the likely culprit for the deep gouges. The case is only guilty of not protecting against those kinds of events - no where near as grievous as causing them.

Oops

You might want to edit your first post, or even ask a moderator to delete this thread.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
I've always used Speck and InCase hardshell cases, and never had grit like that happen, or damage result.

While that is significantly worse than I have seen before, I learned my lesson early on with hard-shell cases and my iPhones. Dust and grit is going to inevitably get caught between any case and the device. With a hard case, that means it's trapped there, and just continually gouges the device until the scratches are generally worse than if you'd used no case at all. Now I just look for cases for impact protection, with a careful eye out for the possibility of doing damage like that. Ouch.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
This doesn't help you now, but why on earth do people buy those stupid hardshell covers and other such nonsense? Just take care of the machine. No one needs to spend over $1000 on a machine to then wrap it in $30 of cheap rubbish.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: original post has been updated now that the poster found a rock in the bag.

Closing this thread.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.