Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Laptop Processor

Originally posted by knoxer
I have a feeling they are specifically designing this as a laptop processor that can last for many many hours, and still be plenty powerful...
That sounds like the plan. Cisco uses the G3 in some routers, so I can see a demand for more power with low heat.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Also,

If I'm not mistaken:

The G3 didn't (doesn't) support MP configs (not without some kinda hack anyway - ala daystar was it?).

The G4 supports MP configs.

Dave

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
Well this sounds like the new iBook processor to me. That is if Apple carries on this stupid marketing method of crippling the consumer products.

So you're saying that Intel never should have released the Pentium-M (aka Banias, aka Centrino)? After all, it is pretty "crippled" compared to the latest P4s. Gosh, a fast, efficient chip that will give you a light laptop with long battery life. Nobody would ever want that.

Trust me, an iBook based on a PPC 750 with a fast bus, large L2 cache, and Altivec would sell like hotcakes. Yes, it wouldn't be as fast as the PPC 970, but it would still be a screamer, and it would be cheap, light, and have a long battery life too (more so than a PPC 970 based laptop). If people want it, then it what sense would it be a "stupid" move by Apple to produce it?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Greenlightboi
THe G4 is a slightly modified G3 with altivec on the die. The G4 is, basically, a G3 but it isnt the exact core with altivec on the die. I would definitly take this rumor with a grain of salt, alot of things don't add up. The G3 is a good chip, but if you think its better then the G4, your crazy... the Altivev SIMD extentions allow data to be processed at 4x the normal rate (128 bit vs. 32 bit). Though the G4 is a badly designed chip.

The G4 is not a badly designed chip. Nothing IBM has can touch it in certain embedded markets (the G3 doesn't have vector, and the 970 uses too much power). It's just not a desktop/workstation chip like the 970 is.

As for the 604/603 debate: The G4's FPU is similar to the 604's but it is otherwise based on the G3. It adds a new FPU, Altivec, and the MPX bus to the G3 design. The newer G4s also have a longer pipeline so they can reach higher clock speeds, as well as L3 cache support.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Re: G3 != G4 w/ Altivec

Originally posted by reedm007
If I remember correctly, the G4 was based off of the PPC 604 architecture whereas the G3 was based off of the PPC 603 architecture. IBM has always pushed the G3 over the G4s architecture, because G3s at the same clock speed at G4s should, in theory, be better number crunchers.

The original "G4" (MPC 7400/7410) was simply a "G3" (PPC 750) with Altivec and a better FPU. Otherwise they were virtually identical. The G4 (MPC 7400/7410) will be better at "number crunching" than the G3, because it has a better FPU (and it also has the vector unit).

The current "G4e" (MPC 745x) is actually a different core than the current "G3" (PPC 750FX). Motorola added 3 pipeline stages and an extra integer unit and other stuff. The main thing was the 3 extra pipeline stages, which allow it to clock higher than the original G4/G3. So this chip actually has an entirely different core than the G3, and in some instances (probably only with certain types of scalar integer code) it can be slower than the PPC 750FX at a given clock speed because it has those extra pipeline stages. But in general the G4e and G3 have roughly similar performance on a per clock cycle, unless there is a lot of vector or FP code, in which case the G4e should be faster.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Apple's high & low end system

I do not understand why Apple must have low and high end processors like they do now. This system has so far resulted in iBooks with processors that do not as a rule exceed the GHz rating of the cheapest Powerbook. It was the same story with the G3s of the CRT iMacs and the G4s of the PowerMacs. Surely iMacs and iBooks would be a lot more powerful if Apple did not practice this system.

If they intend to continue using the same system in the next generation of Macs then it may be a good idea for IBM to make dual core 970s for PowerMacs and Powerbooks and single core 970s for everything else. That way we would all be using the same GHz processors and power users would have the extra grunt in a second CPU core.

type_r503

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by DaveGee
Also,

If I'm not mistaken:

The G3 didn't (doesn't) support MP configs (not without some kinda hack anyway - ala daystar was it?).

The G4 supports MP configs.

Dave

This joke of a company uses 64 x G3 in there edge server/router/security/.../.../etc combo box.

http://www.cosinecom.com

Unfortunately the company is mis-managed and going down the tube. The Technology is realy awesome.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by macrumors12345
So you're saying that Intel never should have released the Pentium-M (aka Banias, aka Centrino)? After all, it is pretty "crippled" compared to the latest P4s. Gosh, a fast, efficient chip that will give you a light laptop with long battery life. Nobody would ever want that.

Trust me, an iBook based on a PPC 750 with a fast bus, large L2 cache, and Altivec would sell like hotcakes. Yes, it wouldn't be as fast as the PPC 970, but it would still be a screamer, and it would be cheap, light, and have a long battery life too (more so than a PPC 970 based laptop). If people want it, then it what sense would it be a "stupid" move by Apple to produce it?

No, I mean Apple should put the same chips in it's consumer products that it puts in it's professional products.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
As far as design is concerned, the G3 is a far better chip than the G4. That is why the G4 needs Altivec, and the software needs to be optimized for Altivec. Otherwise the G4 is a underperforming, overpriced, hot running hog. The G4 has held up the advancement of the G3, because the G4 is the "professional grade chip." lol

If time brings us a G3 "Gobi" that has the Altivec add-on, then it would absolutely crush the current top of the line G4's. This is obvious. As long as the Gobi is less expensive, cooler running, and cheaper than the 970; we probably have a good idea of what Apple would like to do. Call the Gobi the "G5" since it is based on the G series, and keep the 970 nomenclature for the "professional grade chip" if it is indeed the 970 we have wanted since last year.

<edit>
Moores Law retains grip on IT statute books - IBM
Moore's Law doesn't deal with computational power, but with transistor density.

http://www.intel.com/research/silicon/mooreslaw.htm
</edit>

type_r503

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2002
Moore's Law doesn't deal with computational power, but with transistor density.

Aren't they directly related? Or is Intel working on a Vacuum Tube P4. That would be cool.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by yzedf
As far as design is concerned, the G3 is a far better chip than the G4. That is why the G4 needs Altivec, and the software needs to be optimized for Altivec. Otherwise the G4 is a underperforming, overpriced, hot running hog. The G4 has held up the advancement of the G3, because the G4 is the "professional grade chip." lol

If time brings us a G3 "Gobi" that has the Altivec add-on, then it would absolutely crush the current top of the line G4's. This is obvious. As long as the Gobi is less expensive, cooler running, and cheaper than the 970; we probably have a good idea of what Apple would like to do. Call the Gobi the "G5" since it is based on the G series, and keep the 970 nomenclature for the "professional grade chip" if it is indeed the 970 we have wanted since last year.

Bull. The upcoming G4 (7457) is MUCH more technologically advanced than the 750fx. A better manufacturing process (8 layer .13 micron SOI vs. 6 layer .13 micron SOI), a better floating point unit, a roughly equal bus (166MHz MPX vs. 200 MHz 60x), better branch predicition (a requirement of the longer pipeline), L3 cache support, Altivec, the list goes on and on. To the best of my knowledge, no released G3 has EVER been faster than the G4s of its time in any but the most specialized of tasks (specifically, branch heavy integer code with a working set of less than 512k and more than 256k that isn't vectorizable). The G3 has been targetted at low power low speed applications (3.6 watts @ 800MHz). The 7457 is targetted at moderately low power high performance vector applications (~10 watts @ 1.3GHz). The G4 is crippled by its slow bus and short pipeline, but the G3 has a shorter pipeline and a less advanced bus.

Pedro Estarque

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Isn't a small pipeline good for speculative access ?
I always thought the G3 had a simpler design and therefore was easier to clock higher.

RalphNumbers

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2003
Re: Apple's high & low end system

Originally posted by Sol
I do not understand why Apple must have low and high end processors like they do now. This system has so far resulted in iBooks with processors that do not as a rule exceed the GHz rating of the cheapest Powerbook. It was the same story with the G3s of the CRT iMacs and the G4s of the PowerMacs. Surely iMacs and iBooks would be a lot more powerful if Apple did not practice this system.

If they intend to continue using the same system in the next generation of Macs then it may be a good idea for IBM to make dual core 970s for PowerMacs and Powerbooks and single core 970s for everything else. That way we would all be using the same GHz processors and power users would have the extra grunt in a second CPU core.

Actually, using a different processor in iBooks and such has nothing to do with them being clocked lower.
G3s are actually a good deal more easily clockable due to their lower complexity, lack of altivec, and other factors. If Apple wanted to, they could have their G3 based machines at the same clock speed as their G4s or higher, they don't do this to avoid confusing their customers (and probably due to some contractual obligations with Motorola). Notice how the only times the iBooks get speed bumped processors is always right after the Powerbooks get upgraded.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
... To the best of my knowledge, no released G3 has EVER been faster than the G4s of its time in any but the most specialized of tasks ...

Maybe not faster, but here's an article that compares the 600MHz iBook (G3) to the 550MHz PowerBook (G4), and, except for tasks that specifically take advantage of things like Altivec, or the PowerBook's better graphics system, they are pretty much neck and neck in performance...

http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/html/art/edge/misc/a/pwbk_g4_550_vs_ibook_600.html

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Bull. The upcoming G4 (7457) is MUCH more technologically advanced than the 750fx. A better manufacturing process (8 layer .13 micron SOI vs. 6 layer .13 micron SOI), a better floating point unit, a roughly equal bus (166MHz MPX vs. 200 MHz 60x), better branch predicition (a requirement of the longer pipeline), L3 cache support, Altivec, the list goes on and on. To the best of my knowledge, no released G3 has EVER been faster than the G4s of its time in any but the most specialized of tasks (specifically, branch heavy integer code with a working set of less than 512k and more than 256k that isn't vectorizable). The G3 has been targetted at low power low speed applications (3.6 watts @ 800MHz). The 7457 is targetted at moderately low power high performance vector applications (~10 watts @ 1.3GHz). The G4 is crippled by its slow bus and short pipeline, but the G3 has a shorter pipeline and a less advanced bus.
So the latest iteration of the G4 is finally better than the G3?! lol

News at 11.

RalphNumbers

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2003
No, I mean Apple should put the same chips in it's consumer products that it puts in it's professional products.
That isn't economically practical. A G3 has *far* fewer transistors than a 970, that means smaller dies, and that means lower cost.

While they might save some on economies of scale by using only one processor type, I doubt it would be enough to make it profitable to put 970s in consumer machines any time soon.

RalphNumbers

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2003

That really sounds more like a list of disadvantages of the G4 to me. It needs a more complex process, with more layers, to be built (and still takes alot more die space than a G3, I'm not sure it even beats it on transistor density, I'll have to look it up).

It has a longer pipeline, so it's getting less done per cycle on alot of applications, and still not clockable significantly higher than G3s. And it's superior branch prediction is more a cost of this longer pipeline than a benefit, it would be unneeded on a G3 with it's short pipes.

The G3s in macs haven't been faster than their G4 mac brethren at any given time, but Apple is always using the fastest G4s they can get their hands on, not so for the G3.

And of course, as you mentioned, the G3 is less power hungry.

It has a better FPU, SIMD, SMP, and uses L3 cache. These are the G4's only real advantages, and are really more of a sign of what market was being aimed at than a sign of good design.

And let's break down your list of what you claim the G3 is as good or better at:
branch heavy integer code with a working set of less than 512k and more than 256k that isn't vectorizable

now some of this is redundant, so we can combine branch heavy and non-vectorizable and simplify to get:
integer code with a working set of less than 512k and more than 256k that isn't vectorizable

And of course, the G3 does comparably well to the G4 when hitting L2, so it'd be fair to say we can eliminate that lower limit of 256K to get:

integer code with a working set of less than 512k that isn't vectorizable

And of course, not all G4s come with L3 cache, witness the 12" PB, thus you can't guarantee that apps that need more than 512k of data won't have to hit main RAM on a G4 too, so let's remove that to get:
integer code that isn't vectorizable

And of course, only a *very* small amount of integer code is ever vectorized, so in practical applications, we can reduce that to:
integer code

Now wouldn't that have been easier to say?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by RalphNumbers
That isn't economically practical. A G3 has *far* fewer transistors than a 970, that means smaller dies, and that means lower cost.

While they might save some on economies of scale by using only one processor type, I doubt it would be enough to make it profitable to put 970s in consumer machines any time soon.

The 970s could end up being cheaper though due to mass production and sales. I believe IBM will end up selling more 970s then any 750GX. Also the difference in price isn't all that much and for the price Apple asks for even it's low end computers shouldn't be an issue in implementation.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003

accidental double-post (somehow hit tab and then return while typing...)

I wish one's own posts could be deleted without being an administrator...oh well...*shrug*

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003

Originally posted by Sol

*sigh*

For the last time:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUAL-CORE 970.

Thank you.

WM

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
G3s are actually a good deal more easily clockable due to their lower complexity, lack of altivec, and other factors. If Apple wanted to, they could have their G3 based machines at the same clock speed as their G4s or higher,

I don't believe this is true. The less pipes you have the harder it is to clock. Apple is not the only company that uses G3's. There was a market for a lowcost chip like the G3 at higher mhz. It never materialized. I doubt Apple caused this..that's giving them too much credit.

The PPC 970 is only %14 larger than a 180nm G4. IBM's fabs should be better than Moto's and the not needing the L3 cache could make the 970 systems basically the same price as the G4. G3's are going to be cheaper of course so I agree with that. IBM moves to 300mm wafers soon and provided yields are good Apple could use 970s amongst a majority of their lineup. Things get even easier when 90nm chips roll out.

t has a better FPU, SIMD, SMP, and uses L3 cache. These are the G4's only real advantages, and are really more of a sign of what market was being aimed at than a sign of good design.

This makes no sense. They may be the "only" advantages but those are some pretty big additions. If the Market deems those functions as relevant then the fact that the G3 doesn't have them doesn't bode well for it's use.

And let's break down your list of what you claim the G3 ...<snip>

What's the point of technobabble? One only needs to get on OSX running on and iBook versus Powerbook or encode MPEG2 for iDVD to see the the G3 cannot keep up with the G4. We can generate "What ifs" all night long but fact is the G4 feels perceptably faster to the average user IMO.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
What's the point of technobabble? One only needs to get on OSX running on and iBook versus Powerbook or encode MPEG2 for iDVD to see the the G3 cannot keep up with the G4. We can generate "What ifs" all night long but fact is the G4 feels perceptably faster to the average user IMO.

Add an Altivec equivalant unit to a G3 chip and the perceived advantage will vanish.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
The 970s could end up being cheaper though due to mass production and sales. I believe IBM will end up selling more 970s then any 750GX. Also the difference in price isn't all that much and for the price Apple asks for even it's low end computers shouldn't be an issue in implementation.

Even if the processors are comparable in costs (purely speculative on our part), the processor is only a part of the story. The 970 requires a faster bus, ram, etc. which would add considerably more to the overall system cost. On a $999 computer, the extra $100 or so in component costs would obliterate whatever margins it has. It's a consumer machine, costing half to third of the pro laptop, so they need to save wherever they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.