Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Re: will it help?

Originally posted by yoman
or will it make the chip division lose focus producing less innovation for chips?

Or maybe light a fire under the chip division's posterior to make better chips faster so the server division can sell better servers than everyone else.

0 and A ai

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Re: Re: will it help?

Originally posted by Rincewind42
Or maybe light a fire under the chip division's posterior to make better chips faster so the server division can sell better servers than everyone else.

i agree

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
i wonder if this means IBM will moving its entire server line to IBM chips, i.e. dropping intel

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by dongmin
i wonder if this means IBM will moving its entire server line to IBM chips, i.e. dropping intel

I'd be lovely to see, but I doubt it at the moment. x86 for better or worse is the standard for low-end servers, so until that changes you can bet that IBM will be there with it.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Rincewind42
I'd be lovely to see, but I doubt it at the moment. x86 for better or worse is the standard for low-end servers, so until that changes you can bet that IBM will be there with it.
You'd think IBM would USE AMD chips... Not Inhell.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I think Opterons are coming out for IBM's Blades. But those wishing to waste their money on Xeons should not be denied the opportunity to do so.

tortoise

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2003
Originally posted by pgwalsh
You'd think IBM would USE AMD chips... Not Inhell.

IBM has only recently started offering Opteron servers, and I believe they intend to broaden the range of Opteron servers. It takes a while to transition product lines. The Opteron is still relatively new.

Unlike the Xeon SMP systems (or the PPC970 for that matter), the Opteron is actually a ccNUMA system that is masquerading as simple SMP. What this means for practical purposes is that the Opteron can scale almost linearly out to about 8 processors using its current chipset before performance starts to trail off, particularly if the OS is NUMA aware (and NUMA-aware Linux and Windows kernels will be available shortly, if not already available). By contrast, simple SMP only scales well to two processors typically. Hence why quad processor Xeons aren't all that popular; the additional performance you get doesn't live up to either theory or price.

Intel will give competitive performance on single and dual processor servers, but once you get into 4+ processor servers, the Opteron will start to really standout in terms of real world scalability. Interestingly, ccNUMA systems tend to be slower than simple SMP for dual processor systems, but the memory latency is so low on the Opteron that its ccNUMA performance is similar to the real performance of competing simple SMP chipsets in dual processor configurations.

joelc

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2003
CA
Not to whine but...

Hey, I submitted this news item 4 days ago!

OK, I whined. Sorry.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
I wasn't aware that IBM had a consolidated server division. I still was under the impression that they had separate zSeries, iSeries, pSeries and xSeries divisions, and the 970 powered JS20 was the first collaboration beweeen the two latter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.