Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetLover

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
eWeek reports that IBM next week will announce a new PowerPC chips ranging from 700MHz to 1GHz. Code-named 'Sa-hara,' it may also include enhancements to match the "current performance advantages of the PowerPC G4's AltiVec acceleration and is expected to be the successor to the G3 line:

"The Sahara chip will feature an 'AltiVec-like acceleration' and not require the AltiVec co-processor in order to provide a speed boost to applications. Details were not yet available as to whether this is due to new hardware or code mapping, but sources said Sahara's technology is entirely distinct from AltiVec. Sahara will be constructed using a combination of copper and silicon-on-insulator technolo-gies....

Sources also said a revised version of Sahara, called Sahara 2, will be released sometime in 2002. Although details are scarce, Sahara 2 will be moved from Sahara's CMOS 8 (0.18 micron) to CMOS 9 (0.13-micron) fabricating technology."

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
whether this is the next generation G3 or a G5, i am glad that there will be a 1 GHz apple along the way

i don't need one but many uninformed consumers still buy on speed ratings alone and having a "fast" apple computer will help sales even though macs are plenty fast enough compared to pcs as any mac user can tell you

i still use my 300 MHz iBook and it's still fine for what i do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.