Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
that puts the power pc chips at a very desireable future, especially since tehy go beyond SOI technology in their mapping. Unfortuately, tehre is not time table fot this.... so we could be at 2Ghz when pentium 8's at 30000 Ghz are running w/ Pc-7750 RD RAM

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
is this really new? How can u tell?

arn

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
If it is old, you will hopefully notice that it says subject to change without notice at the very bottom.

We could work out the year by it says that up to 700Mhz are shipping, I can't remember when this was, but I'm sure someone will. This date will tell us how old it is arn.

The earliest it could be was when we had the 450's and 500's as that arrow is completely blue.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by arn
is this really new? How can u tell?

arn

I found the link on xlr8yourmac.
IBM's PowerPC RoadMap Updated Recently -
A reader's forum post noted there's been a recent update to the IBM PowerPC Roadmap that shows planned (future) CPUs of 2+GHz. (No timeline/estimated dates on future CPUs however.) -

Ive never checked IBM's roadmap before so I can't tell you if it's really been updated or not. :)

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
i have to agree. this ain't very new.
in fact motorola's roadmap isn't much older is it? and it is just as optimisitic with G6s sometime this decade
PPCROADMAPGIF.gif

i_b_joshua

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
oh what am i saying? the motorola one starts in 1991, that would make it 8 years older. or is it a case of hindsight? is this roadmap really that old?

i_b_joshua

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Originally posted by i_b_joshua
oh what am i saying? the motorola one starts in 1991, that would make it 8 years older. or is it a case of hindsight? is this roadmap really that old?

i_b_joshua

It's almost certainly going to contain some element of retrospective stuff. Even if Mot had a roadmap in 1991 that covered that timer period, ever getting to see it sounds pretty unlikely.

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
Portland, OR
Someone posted that roadmap a while back, in July, I believe. It was before IBM announced the 64-bit PPC presentation at the MP Forum. It was on another forum, and there was speculation about IBM, since the roadmap showed an SIMD Engine, which IBM avoided in the past.

Shortly after that, IBM's description of a new PPC 64-bit processor hit, and nobody had to speculate anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.