Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
its called price discrimination and its perfectly legal

Originally posted by dho
I find this very interesting. Is there any posibilty of this being illegal? As in making life very hard for a competitor? I dont pretend to know much about the laws on this issue, anyone have any input?

Code101

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2003
Ut
It's funny how Intel is the first to do .09 on the Pentium4E! They are out and in x86 machines as we speek. Where is the .09 on the IBM chips? Intel always comes out with the technology first and then Apple/IBM comes out months later and says that they came out with it first.

SSOI belongs to Intel as it is! They are the ones that made this technology.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by Code101
It's funny how Intel is the first to do .09 on the Pentium4E! They are out and in x86 machines as we speek. Where is the .09 on the IBM chips? Intel always comes out with the technology first and then Apple/IBM comes out months later and says that they came out with it first.

SSOI belongs to Intel as it is! They are the ones that made this technology.

newbie troll

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Originally posted by Code101
It's funny how Intel is the first to do .09 on the Pentium4E! They are out and in x86 machines as we speek. Where is the .09 on the IBM chips?

they are in the new Xserve G5's dude...they exist...and work...remember they were announced at MWSF? Here take a look at the news Here

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally posted by Steradian
they are in the new Xserve G5's dude...they exist...and work...remember they were announced at MWSF? Here take a look at the news Here
In all fairness. There might be some who actually have gotten production examples of Prescott, but none have got any Xserve G5s just yet.

But.. a troll is a troll is a troll. I really see no reason to argue who's first in this business when it in this case just differ a couple of weaks. It's all marketing. If Apple/IBM was the least concerned about his, they could easily shipped some Xserves early just to shut the x86 trolls up. But why bother? It's pretty obviuos that Intel failed with Prescott so the competition, and even Intel itself take this evolutionairy step quite easily. It's just the fanboys that seem to celebrate its arrival.

Intel's 90 nm production was due last September originally, but it was at least 4 months late apparently. Prescott chips are 100 W monsters, doesn't bring any significant performace increase and cost more than its predecessor. Aaah, there's a success if I ever saw one!

And it still doesn't do 64 bit processing, I might add. Athlon/Opteron and G5 win that contest on walk over. Itanium doesn't qualify. Just one of those processors cost more than an entire Power Mac G5 system. An Pentium 4EE too almost.

In the meantime IBM is closing the MHz gap fast, and AMD is readying its 90 nm fab and with it they will pack a serious punch. Will Intel keep up? That's the question I've been asking myself lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.