Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Who has the ibook 14" Model? Whats the screen like? Is the ibook a good buy as a main computer? What does everyone think of the new ibook?

Cheers

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
get an imac
faster and the same price

And since it is SO convienient to be carrying an iMac with you were ever you go... why not. </sarcasm>

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I do like the look of the ibook, but i want to run OSX all the time with no classic! Is it up to the job? How long do you think the ibook will last when new programs start to come out + start pushing the G3?

kaisera

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2001
iBook

Falleron:

I have an ibook with the 600mhz processor and combo drive. I was at the Apple store last week and looked at the 14 inch model. I really don't like it. It loses the small portability of the ibook. It has a much larger form factor to support the new screen and is much larger.

In terms of the G3, it does a decent job with OS X. I have 256mg ram and need to get more, thats the key in this case.

But the 14inch is $1799 and the lowend Ti laptop is a few hundred more, I'd go for that if you can afford it. If not, get a 600mhz with 12 inch screen ibook and load it up with ram.

Just some info, hope it helps.

kaisera

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
To be honet, I dont actually NEED a laptop! I would quite like one though, + it would be main computer so I need a decent size screen and it needs to be pretty quick!

Laptop or Desktop? If desktop, imac or powermac? Funds are a consideration so which one? I cant decide!

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
iMac

I have a TiBook and love it. HOWEVER, having seen the features in the top-end iMac, I am jealous. It is a better value. If I didn't need to bring my computer to work, I would really be kicking myself.

With the top-end iMac, you get a big screen, a processor fast enough to run about anything, a combo drive (!!!), and plenty of ports for connecting peripherals. Sure, you have almost no expandability, but it doesn't sound like you necessarily need it.

My 667 MHz G4 handles OS X just fine, but I wish I had the extra speed for the future.

I think the iMac is the best value out there right now.

Just my 2 cents.

CJM

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
To be honest the towers are a little excessive for what I would use it for! However, I like the idea that the tower can easily be upgraded in the future. I am making a long-term investment 3/4 years!

Ports are not really a question, I will have a printer, scanner and thats about it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.