Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I've had this iBook for about five months now. Over the past few days while using my computer and having the brightness down to one above zero, I've noticed that the left side of my screen is not as bright as the right side. If I crank up the brightness a bit, it isn't as noticeable.

This isn't the first problem that I've had with this computer. In October, the iBook had to be sent in for repair after some cables had to be re-seated on the logic board. I don't want to send this computer in again for another repair, especially with school beginning again in a few weeks.

Is there anything that I could possibly do about this problem myself without having to take it to Apple for repair?

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Warbrain said:
Is there anything that I could possibly do about this problem myself without having to take it to Apple for repair?

If you have Applecare, let them deal with it.

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
Deepdale said:
If you have Applecare, let them deal with it.
Even if you don't have AppleCare, the warranty on your machine is still good, so let Apple deal with it. The cost of replacing the screen, if that's the issue, would be higher than I'm sure you'd want to pay. Send it back to Apple and get it repaired professionally so that your warranty is not affected.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I don't have Applecare as I was in a moment of having a limited amount of money along with the fact that I've never had to use the warranty from Apple on any of the previous computers my family has bought from them. I know the warranty is still good, but I don't want to be without the computer for long. So it most likely will be something I deal with later when I have the time.

I also wanted to know if anyone else has any problems with their screens on their newer iBooks. It would be interesting to see if this is just one incident or a problem across the new revisions.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
If it is a problem that bothers you enough to write MR about it, just find an alternate computer for a week and send it in. I have the same computer, on it now, and there is some resident unevenness to the illumination on the bottom corners of the screen, but because I know that is just how the LCD is pinched in place, it doesn't bother me.

WIth your problem it sounds like an uneven backlight or angled backlight. I'd send it in -- maybe you'll get a new machine out of it.

xinxin

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Oops, uneven brightness issue again

My powerbook got this problem as well. And not just uneven brightness, some area looks pinky.

So far I have setup more than 10 laptops, none of them got good display. I am not sure whether apple can replace it for you. But what I AM sure is, if they replace it for you, it won't be better.

My pb is 5 month old now.

BTW, a three year old taiwan made laptop looks much better quality than now. I don't think apple making good quality stuff anymore.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
dmetzcher said:
Even if you don't have AppleCare, the warranty on your machine is still good, so let Apple deal with it. The cost of replacing the screen, if that's the issue, would be higher than I'm sure you'd want to pay. Send it back to Apple and get it repaired professionally so that your warranty is not affected.

For the record Applecare=Warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.