Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
I just loaded 10.3.2 on my mothers compter. It's a G3 800mhz with 640 ram, is there anyway to speed it up a little? Would reinstalling 10.3 w/out 9 make it run faster?

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Yes, do a clean install of OS 10.3

I just got an iBook from apple with 10.3 and 9 installed, and it ran DOG slow. I reinstalled 10.3, and its super zippy now.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Doing a fresh install of 10.3.2 will most likely run better then the one that Apple installs at the factory. This has been my experience at least.

As for reinstalling an already fresh install with or without OS9 I would most definitely say absolutely not. There is one but though in this statement. If you have a small hard drive and having OS9 is pushing the used space of your drive in to the range of 80-90% then yes OS9 will slow down your computer. This is because the drive doesn't have enough free space to to just randomly drop files and move stuff around as it needs. Also your swap file space may not be sufficient for OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.