Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

state_of

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Well I've noticed something really weird by pure accident ...it is not that important but it did got my attention and if anyone knows why I would like to know for sure

first of all i have an ibook, an adsl line and a telindus adsl modem. With the modem I have two computers connected ....my ibook and my brothers windows based machine...By accident in my ibook i used a crossover cable to connect with the modem..and by suprise the internet worked. I tryied the same cable in the windows based machine kai ofcourse it didn't work.... It really seems weird (the straightthrought cable works fine with both mac kai windows computers).

thnx :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Macs have the intelligence built in to auto-connect independent of the cable type. It doesn't matter what kind of cable you use, your Mac sorts it out internally. Cool, huh? :cool:

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
~Shard~ said:
Macs have the intelligence built in to auto-connect independent of the cable type. It doesn't matter what kind of cable you use, your Mac sorts it out internally. Cool, huh? :cool:

I didn't know that. That's kinda cool!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
generik said:
All Macs?

Even Mac Mini?

Not sure about the mini specifically, but all Macs dating back to G3 PowerBooks (and probably earlier) have this capability, so I don't know why Apple would disable this in any of its newer offerings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.