Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Hi, I'm back with another question...Having given up on trying to connect the my iBook g3 to the internet, I thought I could use it for printing pdf sewing patterns (which I can transfer using a flash drive). So I connected it to my printer via usb and tried to print. I did get it to "see" the printer and I selected the generic HP deskjet driver in the menu. I tried to test print and it shows it being sent to print, the printer screen says printing, but nothing actually prints. I checked the queue of finished jobs and it shows them as completed. I looked to see if there is a driver I can download but the oldest one is for os 10.7.

Details:
ibook g3 500 mhz
HP Envy 5660
OS 10.4.5
Connected via usb cable

Any thoughts? Sorry to be a pain. I guess I'm just trying to find something useful to do with this machine!

Last edited:

SovietPony

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
Seems that this printer was released in 2014 - long after apple droped support for powerpc-macs and hp might never supported this printer on systems older than 10.7 (2011).

Check CUPS logs for more info why nothing printed.
Probably update to latest possible osx version may help. (little chance)
Probably somewhere exists opensource driver for CUPS and it can be rebuilded/adopted for 10.4-ppc.

Reactions: stephg

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
You won't have any luck with official drivers on such an old operating system. However, you might have some luck by using one of the generic PostScript or PCL drivers in Tiger. I don't have a printer available to connect to my old PowerBook, so I can't confirm which options are available out of the box.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
So as a follow up, I tried the "new" hp deskjet driver (which I did not see in the list before) and it sort of worked. It will print the top half of a page. So not very useful. I don't really know what to use it for, so I guess it's just sentimental at this point.

Hi, I'm back with another question...Having given up on trying to connect the my iBook g3 to the internet, I thought I could use it for printing pdf sewing patterns (which I can transfer using a flash drive). So I connected it to my printer via usb and tried to print. I did get it to "see" the printer and I selected the generic HP deskjet driver in the menu. I tried to test print and it shows it being sent to print, the printer screen says printing, but nothing actually prints. I checked the queue of finished jobs and it shows them as completed. I looked to see if there is a driver I can download but the oldest one is for os 10.7.

Details:
ibook g3 500 mhz
HP Envy 5660
OS 10.4.5
Connected via usb cable

Any thoughts? Sorry to be a pain. I guess I'm just trying to find something useful to do with this machine!

Not being a pain at all! :)

The first thing you may want to try regardless, printer or no, is to run Software Update update to bring 10.4.5 to 10.4.11, along with all the associated security updates for 10.4.11. Updated printer drivers tend to lurk in some or several of those updaters.

There may, however, be another thing to try.

The first is using the unix-based utility called “cups”, or “common UNIX printing system”. It’s built-in on every Mac running OS X. On Tiger, cups runs in the background by default. The other might lie somewhere in this suggestion, as your HP Envy 5660 could be based on the older Samsung print engine found in many modern HP printers (that said, this only applies to those HP printers which use a toner cartridge and not, typically, an inkjet module).

For cups: Open a browser like Safari or Interweb-PPC. (For this, any browser should get you there, as it’s not online.) Browse to http://127.0.0.1:631 [127.0.0.1 is the system’s internal IP address and accessible only to that computer; the :631 is port 631, the port associated with cups].

You’ll find a menu with options, including “Manage Printers”. Click on that.

1709092402889.png

It should then offer you the option to “Add Printer”.

The cups web interface is generally the “when the ‘Print & Fax’ prefPane isn’t doing the trick” alternative, as ‘Print & Fax’ relies heavily on cups but doesn’t always have as granular configuration control as cups itself does.

The page after “Add printer” typically has three text entry lines. This just lets you give a name for your printer, like “test” or “Hortense,” and only one link needs to be filled (usually just “name”). For the following, I just used the name “test”.

Next, it will ask where the printer can be found.

1709172476242.png

My guess is yours is “USB Printer (usb)”, if connecting to the printer directly from the iBook, but it’s entirely possible “AppSocket/HP JetDirect” or “Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)” might also work (since your printer is on the local wifi network and has an IP address assigned to it by your router).

The particular syntax of what to include in the “IPP” option may be buried somewhere in the HP owner’s guide. “Hostname” for a local network will be either your wifi router’s IP address or its name on the local network.

Also, if your printer can be connected directly to your wifi router, via USB, this should make the printer visible to the router and, also, available through its wifi. Although a long shot, it might also appear under “Print & fax”.

Back to cups:

1709172957108.png

This will be the start of some trial and error. Each of these options has specific information which needs to be completed and particular to that device type.

But once you’ve identified the printer to cups, it should then ask which class of printer driver the printer needs. Because the old-Mac/new-printer combo may mean there’s no suitable driver for the Envy, try “HP” first and continue with the steps. If that doesn’t work, try “Generic”.

1709173633792.png

It will then ask which model you have. As the ENVY series won’t likely be on the list, go with a “generic” option. After this, the printer should then be set up with the cups server, or “cupsd”.

Although I accessed the above using my iBook running 10.4.11, I don’t have a printer like yours to test this. The last printer I owned (a laser printer from Xerox, and for which this iBook G3 is still configured should it ever “re-appear” on the network) was donated several years ago.

It’s possible cups may not be the fix to get you to print successfully, but I’ve found it has helped me in certain cases when I was having trouble connecting to a local network printer in, for example, a computer lab at uni.

But at the very least, you ought to update your iBook via Software Update.

1709173887692.png

APPENDING to add: Although I’ve never tried using it, the open source utility called Gutenprint may help here. The version linked, 5.2.9, should work for OS X 10.3 and up and is the last to support Tiger (with 5.2.10 for Leopard and above).

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I see the OP in first post said there's no internet (they gave up on that?)
But, you CAN download the Tiger 10.4.11 combined updater on another computer. Could even be a Windows PC, just to download the updater from here
Copy the downloaded updater to your iBook, and open it to install the update.

But, you CAN download the Tiger 10.4.11 combined updater on another computer. Could even be a Windows PC, just to download the updater from here

Oh. I hadn’t considered they didn’t have access to an ethernet cable to connect either directly to the router or to another Mac which has Internet Sharing running.

But with the 10.4.11 updater, there are also a number of Security Updates to go along with it. Those need to be included.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Not being a pain at all! :)

The first thing you may want to try regardless, printer or no, is to run Software Update update to bring 10.4.5 to 10.4.11, along with all the associated security updates for 10.4.11. Updated printer drivers tend to lurk in some or several of those updaters.

There may, however, be another thing to try.

The first is using the unix-based utility called “cups”, or “common UNIX printing system”. It’s built-in on every Mac running OS X. On Tiger, cups runs in the background by default. The other might lie somewhere in this suggestion, as your HP Envy 5660 could be based on the older Samsung print engine found in many modern HP printers (that said, this only applies to those HP printers which use a toner cartridge and not, typically, an inkjet module).

For cups: Open a browser like Safari or Interweb-PPC. (For this, any browser should get you there, as it’s not online.) Browse to http://127.0.0.1:631 [127.0.0.1 is the system’s internal IP address and accessible only to that computer; the :631 is port 631, the port associated with cups].

You’ll find a menu with options, including “Manage Printers”. Click on that.

View attachment 2353710

It should then offer you the option to “Add Printer”.

The cups web interface is generally the “when the ‘Print & Fax’ prefPane isn’t doing the trick” alternative, as ‘Print & Fax’ relies heavily on cups but doesn’t always have as granular configuration control as cups itself does.

The page after “Add printer” typically has three text entry lines. This just lets you give a name for your printer, like “test” or “Hortense,” and only one link needs to be filled (usually just “name”). For the following, I just used the name “test”.

Next, it will ask where the printer can be found.

View attachment 2354062

My guess is yours is “USB Printer (usb)”, if connecting to the printer directly from the iBook, but it’s entirely possible “AppSocket/HP JetDirect” or “Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)” might also work (since your printer is on the local wifi network and has an IP address assigned to it by your router).

The particular syntax of what to include in the “IPP” option may be buried somewhere in the HP owner’s guide. “Hostname” for a local network will be either your wifi router’s IP address or its name on the local network.

Also, if your printer can be connected directly to your wifi router, via USB, this should make the printer visible to the router and, also, available through its wifi. Although a long shot, it might also appear under “Print & fax”.

Back to cups:

View attachment 2354063

This will be the start of some trial and error. Each of these options has specific information which needs to be completed and particular to that device type.

But once you’ve identified the printer to cups, it should then ask which class of printer driver the printer needs. Because the old-Mac/new-printer combo may mean there’s no suitable driver for the Envy, try “HP” first and continue with the steps. If that doesn’t work, try “Generic”.

View attachment 2354070

It will then ask which model you have. As the ENVY series won’t likely be on the list, go with a “generic” option. After this, the printer should then be set up with the cups server, or “cupsd”.

Although I accessed the above using my iBook running 10.4.11, I don’t have a printer like yours to test this. The last printer I owned (a laser printer from Xerox, and for which this iBook G3 is still configured should it ever “re-appear” on the network) was donated several years ago.

It’s possible cups may not be the fix to get you to print successfully, but I’ve found it has helped me in certain cases when I was having trouble connecting to a local network printer in, for example, a computer lab at uni.

But at the very least, you ought to update your iBook via Software Update.

View attachment 2354072

APPENDING to add: Although I’ve never tried using it, the open source utility called Gutenprint may help here. The version linked, 5.2.9, should work for OS X 10.3 and up and is the last to support Tiger (with 5.2.10 for Leopard and above).
Thanks for all the detailed information! I will play around with it. I really appreciate your help. It is not connected to internet, so I will have to see how I can update it. I can download to my MBA but will I be able to update from a flash drive? That will be my next task, I guess.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Thanks! I will download on my MBA and copy to a flash drive. I appreciate your help and link.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Just a short update: I was able to successfully update to 10.4.11 from a flash drive. I tried the method described above to add the printer and although I was able to go through the steps, it didn't work. I think I don't have the right hostname or number. I tried the url and hostname from the printer info but neither worked. I did try adding it again through the print utility and again it only prints the top half of a page.

I was surprised that I charged it to 100% yesterday and shut it down and unplugged it. Today when I started it up it was at 97%! I expected it to be dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.