Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay im selling an iBook SE firewire....and the buyer wants all the extra crap I added on after i bought it taken off...how can i do that? how can i clear it entirely as if i never owned it...just keeping the basic programs that it comes with? now i dont have the original software...keep that in mind. thanks.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
You should have the CD system some where, I guess I saw an option some time that helps you to install it as brand new, with the demo and all.

If the buyer doesn't want it like that I'll think is very stupid.

I would delet everything and reinstall the system and that is it! do not get to complicated with that. In that case you can sell him the software later! $20 per CD!

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Just hose it down!

Kidding!! Kidding!! Please don't do that.

No original software?? Then you'll have to do a whole lot of deleting. And this won't really make the system the way it was when you bought it. You sure you don't have a software restore??

To re-install the system with no applications (the person you are selling this to can d/l them, right?), first erase the harddrive and then reinstall the system software. This will get you very close to how you got the computer in the first place (Just missing iMovie and maybe a couple others--you can download these). To erase, do this:

Just insert a Mac OS 9 or X CD and boot from it (hold down 'c' at startup).

In OS 9 install, just go to the utilities folder on the CD and find Drive Setup, you can use this the erase the hard drive (reformat it).

In OS X install there is an option to reformat the hard drive before installing OS X. This however only erases a single partition. To erase a whole drive, I think there is an option in the apple menu of the install CD to open Drive Setup. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

I hope you are not leaving the Mac platform!

Matthew

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay thanks for the help. i believe my friends has both the os 9 and os 10 cd....im going to check if he has the restore one.
umm and heck no im not leaving the platform...i gues now that i think about it it does sound like im sellling out! heh! but nah man im just sellling some stuff to get me a powerbook g4 550.

mac for life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.