Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I am completely new to macs and I just want to make sure that everything is acting like normal. I just purchased this used iBook and it came with the combo drive. Anyways when I put a cd or dvd into the drive it almost makes a "crunching" sound. The drive seems to be operating properly, but I just wanted to make sure that it should be making this noise. Thanks.

snackcakeofd00m

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
if your drive is reading a disc and you tilt the computer you will here a grinding noise. If it is doing that when you leave the computer on a flat surface that could be a problem.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I think it's just the nature of slot-loading drives to be crunchy. ;)

My SuperDrive makes all kinds of lovely noises. My dad's old TiBook makes even louder noises! But she still works great.

I've always wondered how all those mechanical gears work...

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Haha ya I first made the switch in Jan. and when I opened my iBook and popped in a disc I was a bit surprised. Upon reading one of the papers that came in the box you'll see it says something like 'your new iBook will make plenty of noises just realize this is part of running the machine'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.