Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAFC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
Hello everybody!

I'm going to the USA in december and I'm planning to buy an iBook 12" for me. But before that, I want some help from you. What are the essential accessories I can't forget to buy? Does the iWork worth $79?

It's my first time at the USA, and I want to know too if I have to pay extra taxes to bring the computer with me to Brazil. Somebody told me that the limit of products that you can buy there is $500, probably in order to prevent the tourists of buying cheap equipment and selling it in their countries. But the iBook would stay with me. Anybody knows how does this work?

Thank you very much!

iAFC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
terriyaki said:
RAM, a nice protective sleeve, an external mouse, and an iCurve :D
Its 512 MB RAM fits my needs. I don't need more than that. :)
I was thinking about buying a Mighty Mouse. But I would only use the touchpad (the computer would rarely stay on the desk). :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'd also say a protective sleeve is a must as well as iKlear. I didn't really bother w/ it for my PB but w/ my shiny white, show-all-fingerprints-iBook I feel like the iKlear is a 'must.'

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
iAFC said:
Hello everybody!

I'm going to the USA in december and I'm planning to buy an iBook 12" for me. But before that, I want some help from you. What are the essential accessories I can't forget to buy? Does the iWork worth $79?

It's my first time at the USA, and I want to know too if I have to pay extra taxes to bring the computer with me to Brazil. Somebody told me that the limit of products that you can buy there is $500, probably in order to prevent the tourists of buying cheap equipment and selling it in their countries. But the iBook would stay with me. Anybody knows how does this work?

Thank you very much!
As long as you carry just the iBook alone (without the box), you should be fine going thru custom. Don't let them know you bought it in US. Tell them you brought it with you from Brazil.
As far as iBook accesories : RAM, protective sleeve case and screen saver is a must.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
1. Protective sleeve and ram.
2. Mail the empty box to your home from the US, along with all the discs, booklets that come with it.
3. And if you just 'happen' to have a bit of paper on you with a picture of an apple and a price in Brazilian reals..............

iAFC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
stevep said:
1. Protective sleeve and ram.
2. Mail the empty box to your home from the US, along with all the discs, booklets that come with it.
3. And if you just 'happen' to have a bit of paper on you with a picture of an apple and a price in Brazilian reals..............
Mail the computer? No, I don't think that's a good idea. A friend of mine who went through a similar situation, told me to bring the computer with me at the airport. When they ask me about the computer, I would have to say that I brought it from Brazil. But wouldn't they ask for a voucher?

I think I will visit the travel agency tomorrow to get more info on that.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iAFC said:
Mail the computer? No, I don't think that's a good idea.
You misread stevep's post. He clearly stated:
stevep said:

iAFC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
devilot76 said:
You misread stevep's post. He clearly stated:
Oh yeah. Sorry! Now I can understand your point. I think that's a great idea.

But, as you can see, my English isn't that good, so I can't understand what did he want to say with "3. And if you just 'happen' to have a bit of paper on you with a picture of an apple and a price in Brazilian reals". Could you explain me? Thanks!

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
iAFC said:
Oh yeah. Sorry! Now I can understand your point. I think that's a great idea.

But, as you can see, my English isn't that good, so I can't understand what did he want to say with "3. And if you just 'happen' to have a bit of paper on you with a picture of an apple and a price in Brazilian reals". Could you explain me? Thanks!

He means a print ad or something off the internet that shows the price of the iBook in Brazilian currency (reals). I don't think that is really necessary though, just act let you brought the iBook with you and you won't have any problems.

Note: It is not the US Customs that will ask you to pay tax. It will be the Brazilian Government.

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
taxes

not that unless you can buy it thru the mail, or in a state that does not have taxes, you will have to pay taxes in the u.s.. for example in nyc, there is a state and city tax, the total of which i believe is ca 10%.

if you can have it shipped from/to somewhere, or buy it in a state without tax, then you will not have to pay this.

important, you CANNOT have this tax back when you leave the u.s..whereas in europe you can.

airport express is great and a must have accessory.

you may need to change plugs, or use a little plug adapter to fit outlets in brazil. no need for converters, as the voltage changes automatically when plugged in.

sounds like a fun mission.

take the equipment with you, unpacked and send anything else you want home... invoices, cds etc.

enjoy! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.