Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I pulled out my iBook g3 today and it started right up. It seems to be charging okay. I can't get it on my WiFi, though. The airport card is turned on and it sees my network but it gives me an error trying to connect. I think it's because of security. My home WiFi is a Google mesh system connected to fiber optic modem. Unfortunately , the Google points don't have Ethernet or I would connect it that way. Is there any way around this without compromising my network security? I don't really need it for anything in particular. I just am trying to see if I can use it for anything. Thanks for any help!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Sounds like you might need a wireless-to-wired ethernet bridge. The old Apple Airport Expresses could run in this mode, allowing wired clients to access a Wi-Fi network. You can find these units on eBay very cheaply.

Reactions: stephg

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Sounds like you might need a wireless-to-wired ethernet bridge. The old Apple Airport Expresses could run in this mode, allowing wired clients to access a Wi-Fi network. You can find these units on eBay very cheaply.
Actually I think I have one sitting in a closet. I'll have to check. Thanks!

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I had a thought about the WiFi. If I got an older Google point, I think they have an Ethernet connection. If it would work with my mesh system, could I connect the iBook by Ethernet without security concerns? Does anyone have a setup similar to this? I'm pretty sure the older Google points had Ethernet connections.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I had a thought about the WiFi. If I got an older Google point, I think they have an Ethernet connection. If it would work with my mesh system, could I connect the iBook by Ethernet without security concerns? Does anyone have a setup similar to this? I'm pretty sure the older Google points had Ethernet connections.
I have a couple of older Macs (Performa 630 and Clamshell) which I use ethernet connected without a problem. In my case they're plugged directly into my router because that has ethernet ports, but in neither case is there a viable wifi option.

Ethernet doesn't have the security/connectivity problems because it doesn't use encryption so there's no password to contend with. If your old Google access point can connect to your mesh wifi, you should be able to just plug the ethernet cable in and ensure you have appropiate settings in the MacOS Network preference pane.

(My 630 is on MacOS 8.1, and the Clamshell on 10.4.11, so ethernet can be accomplished pre and post the OSX watershed)

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I have a couple of older Macs (Performa 630 and Clamshell) which I use ethernet connected without a problem. In my case they're plugged directly into my router because that has ethernet ports, but in neither case is there a viable wifi option.

Ethernet doesn't have the security/connectivity problems because it doesn't use encryption so there's no password to contend with. If your old Google access point can connect to your mesh wifi, you should be able to just plug the ethernet cable in and ensure you have appropiate settings in the MacOS Network preference pane.

(My 630 is on MacOS 8.1, and the Clamshell on 10.4.11, so ethernet can be accomplished pre and post the OSX watershed)
Thank you! That's what I thought. The older Google WiFi points seem to be kind of pricey. I'll have to check around.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Thank you! That's what I thought. The older Google WiFi points seem to be kind of pricey. I'll have to check around.
An option may be a cheap wifi extender with ethernet port. Typically that would connect to your mesh, and give you an ethernet port to plug into.

I have one of those, and it works pretty well. On Amazon, prices are in the region of $20-$40 for a simple one. I actually use one of these to connect my laser printer via ethernet into my home network, and share it. Again, the iBook's wifi encryption limitation/compatability wouldn't come into play because it's ethernet connected.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I've just been looking on eBay and it looks like I can get the older style Google point for about $25 so I might just buy one and try it out. It should work. I don't even know why I'm doing all this with this old iBook, but I have a feeling people in this forum understand. 🤣

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I also have a 2012 iMac and an old g3 tower hanging around! The iMac still works (slowly). I don't have a monitor for the tower but I can't quite let it go. Nostalgia!

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
We're all a bunch of enablers. :D

On that note...

I also have a 2012 iMac and an old g3 tower hanging around! The iMac still works (slowly). I don't have a monitor for the tower but I can't quite let it go. Nostalgia!

At the moment, my most frequently used Macs are 2011 and 2010 machines - older than your iMac. If you create a post in the Early Intel Mac forum, we can probably help you with sorting out its issues so that its performance improves. We can very likely also help you with the G3 tower as well. :)

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
On that note...

At the moment, my most frequently used Macs are 2011 and 2010 machines - older than your iMac. If you create a post in the Early Intel Mac forum, we can probably help you with sorting out its issues so that its performance improves. We can very likely also help you with the G3 tower as well. :)
I'll do that after I see what I can do with the iBook. The iMac is upgraded to the highest system possible. I might just start it up today for fun! I have no idea if the g3 will start up. It's been sitting in a closet for 20+ years.

stephg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
A 2012 imac is practically new :D

Lots of good information over on the EI subforum. Dont let the ibook result discourage revisiting the 2012. It's still a baby.
I was using it for a lot of stuff until I got my MBA. It is still good for printing and other stuff. At least it was the last time I used it which was when I transferred files from over to my MBA a few months ago. I'm going to start it up next week when I have time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.