Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antony52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
I have convinced my sister to buy an Apple.She wants to since she lately was attacked by the Blaster virus.
Her budget is limited so I was thinking of the IBook 14.1 with the G3 900MHz.She is going to use the comp for Office and dvd viewing plus internet donwloads.What I want to know is whether this iBook is going to be fast enough.Also, should she be worried or viruses?
Any advice would be helpful.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
If her budget is limited, and if she's in school, I would suggest taking a look at the 12" iBook. I have one that replaced my POS PC laptop, and the 12" screen has been fine. As for speed, I have the 800, and it's fine for what I do: Office, MATLAB, some image analysis for the lab, and the occasional warcraft game. I'm not a "power user", but I'm also not just an email and internet user either.

She doesn't have to worry about virii(?) if she's on the mac, but if she really wants protection, .mac comes with virex. If you have any other questions about the iBook, PM me. I absolutely love mine.

Antony52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
She is not is school in fact she is in her doctorate.However she doesnt want to spend a lot of cash which is understandable.From what you say I think she will go for the G3.Thanks for the info.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Don't be scared of the g3 at all, its gonna be a great laptop for her. They are fast enough for all but power users, between the solid build and the OS they are bullet proof. my girlfriend has the 800 combo and its a great machine, does everything she could ask, she's a nursing student. so she does internet and basic stuff. As for viruses, they are pretty few for mac, but ya still gotta use some common sense, like dont open attachments. Definetly go for the 12 inch screen too, same resolution as the 14, and the ibook just "feels" better and looks better in the 12 inch setup.

Antony52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
Not yet.Anyway she will wait.As for me I am waiting for the new PB with the new Moto chip and the Mac OS X 10.3 .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.