Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
So I got my hands on one, and this is another PowerPC machine I really wanted. I was very lucky to get this one for just €30. A Tangerine iBook G3 Clamshell. Now, it does have the sadly very common cracks in the handle and around the Apple logo on the front bezel. The design just made this happen over time due to stress, this isn't actually shipping damage. Fortunately, they solved this issue with the Indigo model, if I recall correctly. But still, the unit works fine, and it will be a blast to use. It has the original OS 9 install on it from the seller, and it's clear he was a student in 1999. It has some games, emulators like Connectix Virtual Gamestation (PS1) and SNES9x, etc, some school stuff, and even a Connectix Virtual PC with an install of Windows 95. I'll probably keep it on there, there's not really any personal documents anyway. The HDD is a little noisy and still the stock 10GB, but I really don't feel comfortable cracking the iBook open. I do want to see if I can get some new cells for the battery and rebuild the pack. It's also got the AirPort card. For that, I plan to set up a router with WiFi 802.11b, and connect it to a lightweight server, which will run a local site in true 90s style. Also, it would be useful to put all my classic Mac software on it so I can easily grab it from any of my Macs if I need to. I have an HP thin client around that would fit that purpose fine.
IMG_20160322_131813.jpg P_20160322_125542.jpg P_20160322_125509.jpg P_20160322_125601.jpg

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Love the Tangerines! :D I've been vaguely looking for one to keep my Indigo company, but haven't found one in good condition for a good price yet - this one looks very nice though.

If the hard drive is 10 GB it might have been upgraded in the past as MacTracker and Wikipedia say the first-generation (non-FireWire) models shipped with 3.2 or 6 GB drives, while only the FireWire models were offered with 10 GB drives - I'd like to upgrade the drive in mine as the stock ones are indeed small, slow and noisy, but the procedure for doing it is notoriously difficult with the clamshells: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G3+Clamshell+Hard+Drive+Replacement/116

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
So I got my hands on one, and this is another PowerPC machine I really wanted. I was very lucky to get this one for just €30. A Tangerine iBook G3 Clamshell. Now, it does have the sadly very common cracks in the handle and around the Apple logo on the front bezel. The design just made this happen over time due to stress, this isn't actually shipping damage. Fortunately, they solved this issue with the Indigo model, if I recall correctly. But still, the unit works fine, and it will be a blast to use. It has the original OS 9 install on it from the seller, and it's clear he was a student in 1999. It has some games, emulators like Connectix Virtual Gamestation (PS1) and SNES9x, etc, some school stuff, and even a Connectix Virtual PC with an install of Windows 95. I'll probably keep it on there, there's not really any personal documents anyway. The HDD is a little noisy and still the stock 10GB, but I really don't feel comfortable cracking the iBook open. I do want to see if I can get some new cells for the battery and rebuild the pack. It's also got the AirPort card. For that, I plan to set up a router with WiFi 802.11b, and connect it to a lightweight server, which will run a local site in true 90s style. Also, it would be useful to put all my classic Mac software on it so I can easily grab it from any of my Macs if I need to. I have an HP thin client around that would fit that purpose fine.
View attachment 622560 View attachment 622562 View attachment 622561 View attachment 622563

Hey, congrats - you're lucky now! The Tangerine looks really great and you've got it at an unbeatable price.
But the best thing (in my opinion) is, that it has got it's "original" installation of contemporary software.
Could you post more about the installed progs, that you think do perform nice even now, more than 15 years after it's launch?
Over the last two weekends I had a good time when I did set up my KeyLime with OS9 and programs. I've been a novice to OS9 before and it has been so much fun to dive into Apple-history
I've also installed Win95/VirtualPC and I didn't notice any difference compared to that old days when I ran Win98 in that big grey box. It's incredible to see the old Win95 running emulated so fast and like Dronecatcher mentioned: that iBook had been the 2nd fastest Laptop of it's time. (And I even didn't know about that ...)
Any noise of the harddrive would make me go for a cheap mSATA mod - and, since the Tangerine is really an OS9 machine, you wouldn'd need a uge amount of GB. I think, the mSATA mod is also cheaper than any mechanical drive.
I'm courious about to hear more about your Clamshell-project:
- how to rebuilt the battery (I've just bought one from the shelves for about 30EUR and it performs good so far),
- favourite progs (especially those ones on Your Tangerine that do not show up at MacintoshGarden,
- your options to connect the Clamshell to other network devices and the Cloud and about that "lightweight server with local site in true 90s style"

Besides other software I'm now happy with this set of software for connectivity (Many thanks to all advice coming from this community!):
- IMAP-Mail/web with Classilla
- webDAV with Goliath
- FTP with Fetch or Transmit 1.7 http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/transmit-17
- VNC with VNCthink
So the Clamshell fits nicely into my current environment of PowerPCs, intelMacs and "Cloud"(webDAV).
Running LeopardServer in a VirtualMachine it's even possible to connect the Clamshell/OS9 with OSX10.11.

Have much fun with the Tangerine Clamshell!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecatcher

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
The software currently on it is:
  • Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition
  • AppleWorks 5.0.4
  • Internet Explorer 4.5 and 5 Macintosh Edition
  • Netscape Communicator 4.6
  • RChess 2.2.2
  • E Chess 5.1.3
  • ActuaSoccer
  • 3D Ultra Pinball
  • Virtual Gameboy
  • SNES9x
  • Virtual Pool
  • Star Wars Episode I Racer Demo
  • MYST (Requires CD)
  • Connectix Virtual Game Station
  • Connectix Virtual PC 3.0
  • Bugdom
  • Acrobat Reader 4.0
  • Claris Organizer
  • FAXsft 5.0
  • NESMac 0.3.6a4j
  • Palm Software for a Palm device
I'd love to replace the HDD with something bigger, faster and more silent. There's not much space left and it's loud and slow. Something like a large capacity HDD or even an SSD would be great. That said, I really feel uncomfortable to crack this iBook open, replacing the HDD really is a surgical operation!

I also need to notch the RAM up, 96MB doesn't cut it. I installed Diablo II which I got from the thrift a few days ago (It was PC/Mac so I grabbed it immediately!), it won't even start due to lack of free RAM. I'll probably max it out if I'm at it.

Rebuilding the battery was an idea I had, but I'm scrapping that. I opened up the battery and it looks a bit too daunting for me. And when working on lithium cells, you need to be quick and effective with soldering, else you might overheat the cells and cause a fire. I think I'll skip that and maybe grab an off the shelve battery as well.

As for the lightweight server idea: Basically, I want to set up a second router in the house, that serves WiFi B for the Clamshell and possibly future devices I'll own with the original Airport, so they can wirelessly communicate with eachother. But, I also want to be able to store useful files and programs for such devices in one central place where I can grab them wirelessly from any of those Airport equipped devices. The x86 Transmeta Crusoe based HP Thin Client has an internal 44 pin IDE connector, so it can be equipped with a 80GB or so HDD for file storage, which it then can share over the local WiFi B network with a lightweight Linux distro. But I also want to run a webserver on it, with a site that will be written in pure HTML. Think mid to late 90s sites, and I mean the low end ones. It would be fun to construct such a site and locally connect to it with typical 90s devices such as the iBook Clamshell. I might hook the WiFi B router up to the main router for internet access, but I don't think it will be necessary. Such devices can't really browse the modern web, and any useful software I find for them can be stored on said thin client server, so I can access it from there and need no internet connection on the actual devices I'll use the software on.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT LOST 3D ULTRA PINBALL! I've been looking for the game for quite a long time, and I'd love to have it. It's abandonware now so...

Also, Palm Software for a Palm device may be helpful for my latest project too :)

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Nice iBook! I finally got my Tangerine last fall to complete my collection and I love it. It and the Key Lime are easily my favorites.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I also have a Tangerine iBook. It's the very first model, 300 MHz, no Firewire, RAM upgraded to 320 MB. A few years ago I upgraded the hard drive to a 40 GB one, added an Airport Card and I changed the backlight lamp with a new, brighter one. I also bought a new battery. It's not an Apple original one but it works well. Mac OS 9 says something like 9 hours remaining when the battery is fully charged, so this old thing beats modern laptops now. :D

The only thing I don't like is the 800x600 screen resolution. Should've been 1024x768.

I had Panther and Tiger installed on it but now it's Mac OS 9 only (I have the original orange discs).

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
The software currently on it is:
  • Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition
  • AppleWorks 5.0.4
  • Internet Explorer 4.5 and 5 Macintosh Edition
  • Netscape Communicator 4.6
  • RChess 2.2.2
  • E Chess 5.1.3
  • ActuaSoccer
  • 3D Ultra Pinball
  • Virtual Gameboy
  • SNES9x
  • Virtual Pool
  • Star Wars Episode I Racer Demo
  • MYST (Requires CD)
  • Connectix Virtual Game Station
  • Connectix Virtual PC 3.0
  • Bugdom
  • Acrobat Reader 4.0
  • Claris Organizer
  • FAXsft 5.0
  • NESMac 0.3.6a4j
  • Palm Software for a Palm device
I'd love to replace the HDD with something bigger, faster and more silent. There's not much space left and it's loud and slow. Something like a large capacity HDD or even an SSD would be great. That said, I really feel uncomfortable to crack this iBook open, replacing the HDD really is a surgical operation!

I also need to notch the RAM up, 96MB doesn't cut it. I installed Diablo II which I got from the thrift a few days ago (It was PC/Mac so I grabbed it immediately!), it won't even start due to lack of free RAM. I'll probably max it out if I'm at it.

Rebuilding the battery was an idea I had, but I'm scrapping that. I opened up the battery and it looks a bit too daunting for me. And when working on lithium cells, you need to be quick and effective with soldering, else you might overheat the cells and cause a fire. I think I'll skip that and maybe grab an off the shelve battery as well.

As for the lightweight server idea: Basically, I want to set up a second router in the house, that serves WiFi B for the Clamshell and possibly future devices I'll own with the original Airport, so they can wirelessly communicate with eachother. But, I also want to be able to store useful files and programs for such devices in one central place where I can grab them wirelessly from any of those Airport equipped devices. The x86 Transmeta Crusoe based HP Thin Client has an internal 44 pin IDE connector, so it can be equipped with a 80GB or so HDD for file storage, which it then can share over the local WiFi B network with a lightweight Linux distro. But I also want to run a webserver on it, with a site that will be written in pure HTML. Think mid to late 90s sites, and I mean the low end ones. It would be fun to construct such a site and locally connect to it with typical 90s devices such as the iBook Clamshell. I might hook the WiFi B router up to the main router for internet access, but I don't think it will be necessary. Such devices can't really browse the modern web, and any useful software I find for them can be stored on said thin client server, so I can access it from there and need no internet connection on the actual devices I'll use the software on.

You should try "Classilla" for web and email. I was quite amazed about it's capabilities. It's obviously the only email-client that is able to cope with most IMAP-accounts. My iCloud-email works neatless...
Any PPC with Tiger/Leopard and FileSharing enabled will make a nice file-server out of the box using "Fetch" oder Transmit" on the Clamshell. A nice link between OS9 and OSX (up to Leopard).
webDAV is also an option to store/re-download files in the cloud using "Goliath" and you may also access your files via Browser for download.
I was really happy see IMAP, FTP and webDAV really do work with theese basic functions.
Connecting via FTP to any PPC/Leopard with Dropbox running even makes DB available for the OS9 machines.
Did you manage to send a fax with the "FAXsft5" software? I haven't been succesful yet but I desperately want that Fax-option...

There is still one other challenge left: Connect the Clamshell/OS9 with VirtualPC6/WinXPpro via LancomAdvanceVNC-Client and Windows Remote Desktop to my office's router/server. (I didn't succeed with VirtualPC7/WinXPpro on my iBookG4/Leopard due to problems of the network-bridge... VirtualPC7/Win2K is able to establish the VPN-connection but unfortunately the RDP-Client of W2k is out of date and cannot connect to Win2008Server.)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
I might install Classilla, but I'm probably not going to go online with the iBook and the local site would render fine in the old browsers.

The Fax Browser program doesn't work, it gives an error that it can't open "NeoAccessLib", but I don't really care about faxing either. Never did it, probably won't do it either in the future.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
VirtualPC7/Win2K is able to establish the VPN-connection but unfortunately the RDP-Client of W2k is out of date and cannot connect to Win2008Server.)
The RDP 5.1 client (the version that originally came with XP, though it can be installed on older versions too) should be able to connect to a 2008 server if on the server you select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)" in Control Panel > System > Remote settings.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I might install Classilla, but I'm probably not going to go online with the iBook and the local site would render fine in the old browsers.

The Fax Browser program doesn't work, it gives an error that it can't open "NeoAccessLib", but I don't really care about faxing either. Never did it, probably won't do it either in the future.
Hmm, that's bad news about Fax. I constantly get that error-message too...
[doublepost=1458911370][/doublepost]
The RDP 5.1 client (the version that originally came with XP, though it can be installed on older versions too) should be able to connect to a 2008 server if on the server you select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)" in Control Panel > System > Remote settings.
RDP 5.1 unfortunately is not accepted from the Server. I have to go through the long process of installing SP1-2 or even SP3 to get the latest RDP Client 6.1 or even 7.
At least I was successful in establishing a VPN-tunnel to my office's network...

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
View attachment 622560 View attachment 622562 View attachment 622561 View attachment 622563

Nice purchase. Congratulations. I'm sure you'll have fun with this.
Your note about Connectix Virtual PC 3.0 got me thinking, that once upon a time I'd purchased a copy. Went to search, and eventually found the boxed copy of Connectix Virtual PC 4. So given time, I may try it out again on one of my G4's.

A few weeks ago we had my wife's 17 yr-old niece here. I fetched out my iBook Lime 466, curious to see what her reaction might be. And I wasn't disappointed. Her eye's lit up like a 4 year old! It booted to OS 9.2.2 (which she'd never seen or used before), and I showed her the basic features. For the next hour or so, we forgot she was there, absorbed in this new 'treasure'. Amongst a few other games, she'd found one called 'Sammy's Science House' (or something similar), which I learned afterwards is aimed at very young kids - but it certainly kept her quiet and extremely entertained. She said afterwards she'd enjoyed the iBook almost as much as her iPhone. And I don't doubt for a second that they'll still be giving surprising visual pleasure to kids for generations to come - unlike today's anorexic-like laptop styling.

Reactions: Slix and 0248294

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
That's a lovely iBook! As for the RAM, I have a 256MB RAM stick that I removed from my (new to me) Graphite 466SE to replace it with a 512MB stick. Happy to send it to you for cost of shipping from the UK if you are interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.