Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
My friend is totally married to her iBook G3; it is and contains her life. She basically uses it for myspace and blogging and iTunes, so she doesn't need anything new necessarily. The problem is, the end of her charger broke off inside of the power supply port on the iBook. Now, nothing happens when you try to start the iBook. I can insert the broken power adapter into the port and get a green light. After two and a half hours to wait for a Mac "Genius", he told me that I wasn't necessarily getting a charge and that it could only be getting enough power just for that light. He quoted me on a new adapter at $79 and new power supply at $200. I'm afraid if I have her spend the money, she'll get it fixed only to end up having a fried logic board or something. Is there any way to replace the power supply cheaper? Can I do it myself? Should I just have her get a new computer? Are HDD's easy to salvage from these iBooks?

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
Go ahead and get her a new G3. I saw one at a store for $250 Canadian, so you save $20 already.

ibooksux

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2006
Do they serve alcohol at the genius bar? what a rip off!

This site has the part you need for $27. You would need to open the ibook yourself (not easy, but not too hard if you are mechanically inclined and have patience - it'll take a couple hours).

http://www.powerbooktech.com/parts,ibook-white-g3-12.htm

under "knowledge" they show you how to do it... you can also try the "fixit guides" at http://www.ifixit.com - they have a neater look.

after you get this together just try charging it with another charger, if it works, great, if not, it wasnt too expensive and was probably fun.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'll sell you the part you need for 20 shipped. PM me if interested.

Or an iPod firewire cable. :D

Of course, if you really, really wanted to, you can open it up, get the DC-In board out, take a pin, and very, very carefully use it to push the broken tip out of the board, by going from the inside out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.