Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gokhantonyukuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Hello everyone. I bought a used iBook g4(12'', 1.33ghz). I wanted to upgrade ram & HDD. Ram was easy but HDD part took a lot effort. I managed to get removing trackpad cable. I was pretty gentle while trying remove trackpad cable from logicboard. But i heard some crack & saw 2 lines from motherboard holder removed during process. I pressed the cable & to logicboard holder. Opened the ibook but trackpad not worked. U can see damaged part from image. Is there any way to fix it or it's hopeless?

Attachments

• xyz-.jpg
    xyz-.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 107

Alexis Trinquet

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2020
Gouvieux, France
If you're lucky to not have ripped off the solder pads or feeling like taking a huge gamble, you could try to resolder the pins but know you're going to need a very steady hand and extra care to not melt the connector.

But... If you ripped the solder pads and a bit of the traces, you'll have to find a way to restore the broken traces. Maybe with bodge wires.

Reactions: gokhantonyukuk

gokhantonyukuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
If you're lucky to not have ripped off the solder pads or feeling like taking a huge gamble, you could try to resolder the pins but know you're going to need a very steady hand and extra care to not melt the connector.

But... If you ripped the solder pads and a bit of the traces, you'll have to find a way to restore the broken traces. Maybe with bodge wires.

Thanks for the answer. Someoneelse helped me to repair it. It works now. But he warned me not to damage it again. So I'm afraid to replace the HDD :(

gokhantonyukuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
I managed to upgrade HDD too, inspired by 8-bit Guy's method. I didn't plug out cables but I was pretty careful. Everything works fine so far

Reactions: z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.