Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Hello,

I have an iBook G4. 1.07 Ghz, 768MB RAM

I heard somewhere that there is some kind of hack to get your iBook to work with an external display w/out mirroring. I am interested in getting a 20 or 23 inch ACD, and was wondering if this is at all possible with my VGA out...

I will probably need all kinds of adapters since the ACDs need a DVI port...

I also have a 19inch VGA monitor. Is there any way I can hook my iBook up to that without mirroring (possibly with a hack)?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Sheriff

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Using the hack your 19" VGA monitor will work fine. Just Google "Screen Spanning Doctor."

An ACD however will need a very expensive VGA>DVI-D converter. They run well into the hundreds of dollars. Not worth it really, the Dell 20" and 24" have VGA input so they would work with the iBook however the experience wouldn't be all that good as the graphics card in the iBook doesn't like pushing pixels to really big screens.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
I've been using a 20" dell display with my iBook G4 for a few months now. I noticed a definite lack of clarity compared to DVI right away, but I've since gotten used to it.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
griffin sells a vga to ADC/DVI adapter but it's really expencive, like 300 bucks.

iProd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
erm, I've seen ACD to DVI adapters at CompUSA for $50...but I've boycotted them, so :p
It doesn't have all the USB goodness though. That's not bad, though

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
iProd said:
erm, I've seen ACD to DVI adapters at CompUSA for $50...but I've boycotted them, so :p
It doesn't have all the USB goodness though. That's not bad, though

That's for connecting a new Mac to an old ADC (plastic??).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.