Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Yesterday, literally an hour before settling off to the apple store to purchase Tiger my iBook G4 (800 Mhz) had a crash :(

Fine I thought! I rebooted.... Went to the blue screen where the booting messages usually appear, but without the message. It basically just hung...

Fine, I thought... I rebooted again. Same screen

And again, this time hanging on the initial apple screen with the spinning thing

Hmmn... I began to get annoyed now! I finally got it to boot into desktop only to have it freeze again moments later...

I was annoyed! I also just moved to the states and my initial CD's for installing panther are at home... Gutted! I had my powermac G5 ones with me however, but they wont work for obvious reasons...

So I thought screw it i'll buy tiger I know you can get to disk utilities from booting from CD in tiger

So purcahsed Tiger and arrived home. Hold C, wont boot from CD.

Hold 'option' select the tiger CD from boot. Wont work

Gutted. Hold command S and run FSCK (disk check)... It says all is fine! Still wont boot.

ARGH!!! What has happened???!!

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry I really should have mentioned that I have not yet had my PMG5 shipped over yet, and prob not for a month or so...

Hmmmn, maybe I need to find some mac users... :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tonyeck said:
Yeah... It is free to see the genius's right? But fixing costs the money?

Depends on what they need to fix. If they can somehow do it in software, it might still be free. If you go at a time when the store isn't busy, you might get one of them to check the drive with you on one of their computers using target disk, if you ask really nicely! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.