Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knix6593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Indonesia
try safe mode while pressing in on the center area of the bottom of the motherboard (to maybe bridge connections temporarily) again just to turn off the airport/remove the extension. I was able to do that on one of my units.
[doublepost=1542696040][/doublepost]Fixing-a-broken-iBook-G4-with-Airport-kernel-panic

here is a repair guide. I need to try that i guess.
No luck either, im actually taking the machine apart right now after doing that

Knix6593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Indonesia
So I got the machine functioning... But the fan instantly runs at full tilt (then makes a horrible grinding noise)when in osx, and the GPU is abnormally hot at 56C... damn this machine is really troublesome, time to take it apart a 2nd time...

Oh and it took me about 9 hours to get the machine working, 2.5 hours on the drive replacement and 6.5hrs on cloning (cloned the tiger install to a 40gb hdd then placed it on my g5, another clone to the iBook this time.) What an absolute ride.

Reactions: AphoticD

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
got it functioning how? i would bet its hot from old thermal paste for sure. fans going bad after that time isnt out of the ordinary either as most people never blow out the dust from any electronics ever.

I am going to take mine apart and reflow after some other projects.

Knix6593

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Indonesia
got it functioning how? i would bet its hot from old thermal paste for sure. fans going bad after that time isnt out of the ordinary either as most people never blow out the dust from any electronics ever.

Its been a happy little machine for me :), i try to keep the temps under 50C so i wont hear horrible noises. Thread resolved

Reactions: Dicere and AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.