Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcortez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
hey guys,

my sister has an ibook g4, 1.07 ghz, 256 mb built-in memory.
so she is going off to cal next year for college, and for a graduation gift, i thought i'd upgrade her current ibook since i can't afford a new macbook.

would a boost from 256 mb to 1gb of memory make a big difference even though it's only 1.07 ghz. and does the hard drive size mean anything for performance, cuz it's 40gb.

also, the computer is past its warranty, where would i find good ram, and does anyone know how to install it on an ibook g4?

thanks a lot..i really appreciate the help.

-peter

pcortez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
so i figured out how to install the ram.

i just need to know if 1gb would help with the 1.07 mhz.
and where would i find cheap 1gb ram for the ibook g4.
thanks.

peter

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
It will make a difference. Crucial sells good ram. Others will likely steer you towards other merchants and brands. Listen to their advice, but I like Crucial, which is fairly cost competitive, and they warranty their memory, and really are no hassle people to deal with.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Definitely go with the RAM upgrade. My mom considered buying a new iBook (she has a 700Mhz G3) until I added in a 512MB chip for her. It feels like a totally new machine now. Also, you can get a 5400rpm or 7200rpm hard drive which will make it feel a lot faster than the stock 4200rpm.

pcortez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
just one more question guys.

with 256 ram built-in, and installing 1gb stick.
is that a weird combo? should they be matching?

sorry, really lame to computers.ha.

-peter

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
It will make a HUGE difference under OSX. I went from 684 to 1.1g and the difference was incredible, so I imagine 256 to 1.2g will be amazing...

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
pcortez said:
just one more question guys.

with 256 ram built-in, and installing 1gb stick.
is that a weird combo? should they be matching?

sorry, really lame to computers.ha.

-peter

No, it should be fine, they don't need to match in the iBook. If you're looking to do the upgrades yourself, here's a site with a good step by step guide:
ifixit.com

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
make sure you check out Datamem.com for apple ram as well. They have the lifetime warranty as well, and they gaurantee it will work. Better pricing then crucial to.

Z

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
No, there is no need for matching. There is one slot, if I am correct, and the total should end up being, with the onboard and add on a max of 1280MB of memory.

Upgrading the HD may also save battery life and give it more pep. My PB came with a 4200 drive and upgrading to a 5400 save battery life, as the drive had a larger onboard cache and was more power efficient. iFixIt.com previously PBfixIt.com has directions and parts. You may choose to buy elsewhere. Search the forums for advice on upgrading you HD. I suggest having the right tools from the start and using ice cube trays or water color pallets to keep track of screws.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've got a one gig stick I used for six weeks in my iBook before I sold it. OEM Samsung, lifetime warranty. Bought it for 145, will sell for $99. Let me know

pcortez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
"OEM components are not fully tested at the factory, and are sold in bulk to manufacturers at a discounted price."

this was on datamem.com; i dont know too much about computers "california", but imma have to pass. thanks for the offer though.

one LAST question, i promise.
if the computer is used just for simple applications (AIM, safari, iLife, etc [all at the same time]), is 1gb ram upgrade from 256 mb overkill?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, it certainly can't hurt to have more RAM, and I think if you can afford it, you should get it. 512MB more might be enough for what you're looking to do, but 1GB is definitely your best bet.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pcortez said:
if the computer is used just for simple applications (AIM, safari, iLife, etc [all at the same time]), is 1gb ram upgrade from 256 mb overkill?

If you're using Tiger (OS X 10.4.x), I'd say no. (EDIT: No as in no, it won't be overkill, yes, it will be useful). It can use a lot of RAM very effectively, and it will tend to keep the iBook useful for a longer period of time....

If you have Panther (10.3.x), however, I would say that you probably will not notice as big a difference between 768MB (add 512) and 1.25GB....

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I saw a major improvement going from 512MB to 1.5GB of RAM on this 1.33GHz G4, so yes, you will indeed see an improvement. Best of luck with the upgrade. :)

pcortez

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
well, after careful consideration especially from all the comments.
the 1GBers win!

i just figured with the computer only having 10.3 on it and 10.5 obviously coming out in the next four years, it definitely doesn't hurt.

so i have til my sister starts CAL in august to save up that extra money.
thanks a lot everyone. ill be sure to post how it went, but that wont be for a couple months.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Caitlyn said:
I saw a major improvement going from 512MB to 1.5GB of RAM on this 1.33GHz G4, so yes, you will indeed see an improvement. Best of luck with the upgrade. :)
I upped my iB g4 to 1GB and it runs a lot better. I should have, and maybe I will, go with a 1GB chip since I'm running out of RAM still. XCode, iTunes, Bon Echo, Adium, Mail, etc. can use lots of RAM.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
pcortez said:
"OEM components are not fully tested at the factory, and are sold in bulk to manufacturers at a discounted price."

this was on datamem.com; i dont know too much about computers "california", but imma have to pass. thanks for the offer though.

Actually, I meant OEM as in: "THIS IS THE TYPE OF RAM THAT APPLE USES OEM IN THEIR COMPUTERS"

IT was NOT a piece of ram taken out of a computer oem. It was NOT a bulk OEM chip. It was fully tested, etc. Interesting that you misunderstood.

The reason I wrote oem is that this is a selling point for me because memory for Apple can be picky. Samsung has proved to be great and this chip worked flawlessly on my 1.42ghz 14" iBook.

And no, I had your sister's same computer and stuffed it with max ram. You need it to make it run Tiger and other apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.