Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BubbaTAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
I need your guys's help... I want to buy a new ibook but I have two questions that need to be resolved first...
1. I am told that the ibook automatically goes to sleep when you close the lid...the problem here is that I havea big CRT on my desk that I want to plug into the ibook and use that when I am at my desk and only use the crt when I'm away from my desk. Is there a software or firware patch that I can use so the ibook will stay awake if the lid is closed with a monitor plugged in? (important becauseI can type and view DVD's on the little screen, but not do graphics work)
2. I was also told that OSX uses the Altivec a lot for the graphics layer...I don't mind the perfomance hit on the ibook over the powerbook on things like encoding and rendering, but will I notice a substantial lag between the 600g3 and 550g4 on things like resizing and opening everday things (IE, WOrd, Excel)
THanks for your advice...you guys rock!

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
No problem

OK,

1) Why can't you just keep the screen there while ur working with ur CRT? I've seen my friend do that with his powerbook G3 alot of times, and it doesn't bother him at all.... the main screen is just blank.

2) There has been alot of discussion abbout how the OS X might run slow on the iBook, but no. It runs perfectly.

And BTW, u should get the 14" one. I would.

Good luck!:D

irmongoose

BubbaTAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
screen goes blacK?

I thought the screen stayed on and mirrored the display?

the 14" is pretty cool, that was what I was thinking

but I would really like to get a ptach, the ibook looks so smooth closed :)

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: screen goes blacK?

Originally posted by BubbaTAC
I thought the screen stayed on and mirrored the display?

the 14" is pretty cool, that was what I was thinking

but I would really like to get a ptach, the ibook looks so smooth closed :)

:) bubbaTAC u r so right. ive been wanting to do the same thing with my powerbook for a long time. when im on the airplane, bus, or train i dont want to whip out my powerbook just to listen to music. it would be nice to be able to keep it stowed plug in some wireless headphones and listen without having the big girl sitting in front of me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.