Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
I haven't been able to find a definite, definitive answer to this,

With the current iBooks (12in 1.2Ghz in particular) and the spanning hack, can you increase the res' on the external screen? and can you disable in iBooks internal screen, and just use the external one?

Thanking you :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst I don't have a current iBook I used to have a G3 iBook with the spanning hack (back when it was new and exciting). Yes you can run much higher resolutions on the external display, but I don;t think you can switch off the internal display or run in clamshell mode.

Studawg7

macrumors regular
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
no you cant turn off the ibook display but you can drop the brightness down to where you cant see anything at all. thats what i do. hope that answers your question

edit: yes you can drive a higher resolution on the external display. btw i use a 1GHz iBook and the hack. no problems whatsoever.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Just because you CAN use clamshell mode, doesnt mean you should. Using clamshell mode WILL ruin your iBook as it cant dissipate heat properly. Theres an article on Apples support site about this, I woulda linky linked but I couldnt find it.. Ahh well, search on MR.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I know the hack cuts your VRAM in half. Is this ALL the time or only when you're doing dual monitors?

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
I'm not bothered about running an iBook with the lid closed, purely disabling the internal screen.

Reason for this is i don't need 2 screens running all the time, and if i do get an ibook i'll be playing some warcraft3 etc. and i'd much rather do that on one of my other screens :)

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
There is a program to let it run in clamshell mode... I don't know how.. back in February my friend was over and did it to my 12" iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.