Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Whenever I turn on my iBook, turn it off or open it (whilst it's on, obviously), it just hums. I know it's loading but the humming lasts on average around 3 to 4 minutes. It used to be quiet, but in the last week it just suddenly began humming whenever I open it, turn it on/off. The noise is really loud and it's just beginning to bug me, because I just want it how it was before!

Is there anyway I can fix this?

(Sorry if this sounds really dumb.)

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
First off welcome iSarah. Anyways, if it's that much of a bother then I would suggest taking it into an Apple Retail store (I don't know where you live so that may or may not be feasible).

If they won't help, then I suppose it's something you'll have to live with. I know my MacBook hums when I wake it up, but like you mentioned that's just the loading.

iSarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Thanks. It is liveable but I just thought maybe there was something wrong with it as before it was just silent.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
My iBook is louder than when I bought it. I put this down to an accumulation of dust etc. :(

I don't think it'd be anything to worry about though. :)

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
mad jew said:
My iBook is louder than when I bought it. I put this down to an accumulation of dust etc. :(

I don't think it'd be anything to worry about though. :)
I bet mine has a bit of dust inside, too. I have an air compressor in my garage. Do you think it would be safe to blow a bit of air into my iBook's vents just to flush out some dust?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Could help, but it could make it worse too. I just leave mine as is. You don't want dust short-circuiting something, or causing something else to overheat. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.