Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninebythree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
I'm having this problem with my relatively new (3 months) iBook. After it's been woken from sleep mode, the keyboard won't work for a minute or so. It'll work if the iBook's been open during sleep mode and I wake it up using the keyboard, but if I wake it from being closed or I wake it with the mouse, the keyboard doesn't function for a short period of time. Help?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ninebythree said:
I'm having this problem with my relatively new (3 months) iBook. After it's been woken from sleep mode, the keyboard won't work for a minute or so. It'll work if the iBook's been open during sleep mode and I wake it up using the keyboard, but if I wake it from being closed or I wake it with the mouse, the keyboard doesn't function for a short period of time. Help?

Couple questions...during this time, does the mouse work? When you say "minute," do you mean 5-8 seconds, or do you really mean a minute?

My iBook takes about that much time (5-8 seconds) to get an Airport connection, and during that time, the mouse and keyboard are both initially non-responsive.... And I think that's normal. But I'm not sure if that's what you're describing.

ninebythree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
I actually mean that the keyboard doesn't function for a minute post-wake, and the mouse functions perfectly fine, although the keyboard is seized.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ninebythree said:
I actually mean that the keyboard doesn't function for a minute post-wake, and the mouse functions perfectly fine, although the keyboard is seized.

Hmmm, okay, then that isn't normal. :( Sorry...a lot of times people say "minute" and who knows what they mean..... :(

Are you using any special drivers or system modifications? And are you using a wireless network connection or bluetooth devices?

ninebythree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
It's okay, I understand what you mean :)

My mac's a 14" iBook that's been upgraded to 1 GB of RAM and 80 GB HD. I use Airport (so I experience the delayed connection that you've got post-wake) and there's nothing hooked up with Bluetooth.

I'm so confused as to where this problem could be originating...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Can you actually do me a favor? On your computer, locate this file:

/library/logs/console/501/console.log

This is a file into which log information is written by the system continuously whenever it is on and you are logged in. Can you put it to sleep, and then wake it in the manner which causes your kb to not work? Then look at this file. What we're interested in is whatever is entered in the log immediately during sleep onset and then waking and up to the time that your kb starts working again... it might help explain this. If you can get that part and post it here, it might help.

Otherwise, you might also try standard things such as repairing permissions, and so on, but I'm not sure if they will help or not. :( It could be that a botched permission on a kernel extension or something else needed to activate the KB again is causing the delay.

ninebythree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
It says this:

Dec 23 22:47:23 computer-ibook-g4 mDNSResponder: -1: DNSServiceRegister("Music", "_daap._tcp.", "local.", 3689) failed: Client id -1 invalid (-65549)
Dec 23 22:47:23 computer-ibook-g4 mDNSResponder: -1: DNSServiceRegister("iTunes_Ctrl_A699D57E2DD882A0", "_dacp._tcp.", "local.", 3689) failed: Client id -1 invalid (-65549)

directly after putting it to sleep, and when the keyboard doesn't work, but once it starts working, nothing on the log changes.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is a total wild shot, but you're sharing your iTunes library over the network, right? It appears to be trying to make domain name accommodations for your iTunes library. I'm not sure if that's standard operating procedure or not, but it seems strange to me. Try turning that off temporarily and seeing if you get the same keyboard lock?

If you don't, then perhaps it has something to do with the way iTunes sharing is set up... if not, it was a wild goose chase. Sorry. :(

Oh, and at this point, if you haven't already, do just repair permissions for the heck of it. You never know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.